Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ground Blinds

Old 07-03-2009, 05:07 PM
OCD
Spike

Default Ground Blinds

I have access to hunt about 100 arces of land but the owners do not want any tree stands. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of a ground blind? This land has a good mix of everything fields, creeks, a pond or two, trees, and some of the arcers are being farmed. Not sure what is planted.

Also what blind do you recommend?

Old 07-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ground Blinds

Im glad you are respectin the wishes of the landowner. There are ways to really conceal a groundblind among the cedars and brush, as I have has luck on the ground and in the air. If you are looking for a place for the blind, try and get near a trail, feeding area, or bedding. Make sure you have 360 degrees of sight as well.

Last year my first purchase of a blind only gave me 3/4 shooting and sight. but I had it less than 30 yards from a good clover plot. Its like time work, they eat, and usually late in the evening, minutes from dusk. The second thing to consider is what weapon you are hunting with, a bow blind you need space to move to where your shot is. If the blind is dark inside, wear dark clothes, and even darken your face to allow movement in the blind without being busted.

This year, besides three tree blinds and a climber, I bought the primos eclipse. Its huge....70"x70" and over 6.6 ft tall with 360 degrees shooting through mesh, or remove it. Nothing wrong with being on the ground if you are where your scouting has shown trails and feeding areas.

go get them....and always respect the landowner!
Old 07-04-2009, 04:14 AM
Typical Buck

Pro's- you can position yourself anywhere the deer are without the need to find the right sized tree or the having to cut shooting lanes, etc. The ground blind works as a scent containment tool if minimal windows are kept open. I have never been as close to deer as I have been out of my ground blinds-talking a few feet without them knowing I am there. Great for taking kids who can't sit still, my youngest 2 take their gameboys and sit in the blind while I wait and watch for the deer, turkey, etc.

Con's- lack of visibility, must be put in place long before you are going to hunt out of it to allow the deer to get used to it. Mine are going out in 2 weeks. Placing a blind in any deer's territory is like someone throwing a duffel bag in the middle of your living room and expecting you not to see it. It will be the first thing they zone in on and will be on alert for the next couple times they come through that area- allow them to adjust to it just as they do downed tree's and such. Another con- they can be a sweat box depending on where you place it. You will be inside and inthe shade but it may be 120 degrees inside if placed out in the direct sun and no wind to cool you off. Biggest con- easiest to steal compared to treestands that can be locked fast.

Also DO NOT BUY AN "ALL ABOUT GAME" BLIND there are still a few of them out there that can be purchased. I have one that my wife bought me in Feb. I had it set up for one week during the Spring Gobbler season. Two fiberglass poles snapped and now the company has closed it's doors and I have no way of being reimbursed or receive service from them. They ripped off the wholesalers they sold through and shut their doors and disconnected their phones. Now I have to go through Primos and buy Double Bull rods and modify them.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:24 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: OCD

I have access to hunt about 100 arces of land but the owners do not want any tree stands.
What about Lock-On's and Climbing Sticks? Neither of these damage the tree.
Is it damage to their tree's they are worried about or is it a Liability issue? If Liability, type of a waiver such as

I Landowner name hereby grant Hunter name permission to access my land for the purpose of hunting at his/her own risk. I Hunter name agree to hold harmless Landowner name from any and all liability for any damages incurred to my person or property while accessing Landowner name 's property.

Landowner Name and Date Hunter Name and Date

Maybe this would give you another option.... Maybe you should do this anyway.I keep a couple of these in my truck and whenever I ask permission to hunt someone's land I take these along for the landowner's peace of mind and for my proof that I have permission to hunt that property.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've been down the ground blind road, and they are not for me. I'd rather make severalnatural groundblinds in the area I'm going to hunt and set up in the one that works with the wind direction. First of all it's natural, no scent, and if you don't disturb the area too bad it will not alert the smart bucks. Plus I enjoy making them to suit me. I use some tricks I learned in Viet Nam for ambushes.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have owned and used several brands of ground blinds, IMO I would prefer to hunt from a treestand but in those cases where I do use a ground blind they have worked very well.

My advice is to buy the best blind you can afford. It will save you money in the long run. The best Blind I've ever owned is the Double Bull Dark Horse. I've killed several Turkeys and one nice 4X4 Mule Deer out of it.

Dan
Old 07-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

i own the ground max eclipse and i love it i have had deer walk right up to it trying to figure out what it is but if you kno the land then it should be easy setting up on deer and the scenery is going to seem weird cause your use to being up in astand thats the only con for a ground blind if your a veteren tree hunter
Old 07-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

just like with a tree stand you have to do your scouting to know where to place it. but like said before if your are bowhunting out of it make sure there is enough room. i had one i thought was tall enough. until i tested it out and my top cam would smack the roof on every shot. good thing i tried it before i got in the woods. get the bets one you can afford.