Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rangefinders w/ ARC etc.??? >

Rangefinders w/ ARC etc.???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rangefinders w/ ARC etc.???

Old 02-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rangefinders w/ ARC etc.???

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

ORIGINAL: excalibur43

LOL, I have made this shot countless times from my target stand ( Platform in my tree) in my backyard. I can shoot it from my stand, come down to the ground and shoot it again with the same pin, with the same results.I do understand what you are saying, but from what I have found out by practicing from different heights, is that, I could not encounter an angle steep enough to make a real difference. I'm not saying that that doesn't happen in some hunting situations, but here in Ohio, I usually hunt from about 18-22 feet in my stand, and the " Arc" just doesn't come into play in this situation.
That's because 18-22 feet only equals 6-7 yards, when taken relative to the 20-40 yard shot (hypotenuse) that's nothing (meaning that your shot angle "theta" is minimal). The shot angle doesn't become substantial until the critter is in under you but then the distance is so close that it again, just doesn't matter. You can't get enough yards up into a tree to make a difference and still hunt safely. That's why ARC won't ever be of any practical use to a treestand hunter, even though the advertising would like to convince you otherwise.
Unless you hunt out of deer stands in hilly country.As I do.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 02-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

TFOX,I see sort of what you're getting at, but you clearly have no phsyics background. Shooting uphill, or downhill are the exact same if given the same angle. Shooting 10 degrees uphill, will be the same as shooting 10 degrees downhill. Theres no difference in where you would aim. Weird huh? And for your application of being 20 foot up a tree, and shooting another 30 downhill, thats all fine and dandy, but I'm still shooting with my 20 yard pin. And then I'm going to stop hunting off cliffs.
What the heck makes you think I don't know that?

I am well awair of how an arrow drops,up or downhill.The reason I said to try it shooting uphill is because it is IMPOSSIBLE to range a tree straighht out if shooting uphill.In this situation,you would need countless hours of practice with this type of shot to make it OR,one of these rangefinders.

BUT,there is a difference in where you AIM when shooting uphill verses downhill,you just shoot them both for the same yardage.Wierd HUH

OH,and sight paralax does make an uphill shot slightly different than a downhill shot,as does gravity when you get into greater distances but neither will be encountered in a hunting situation.[:-]
you're splitting hairs.. the entrance would be in a different spot, whether shooting from uphill or downhill or the animal, but the arrow will still pass through the boiler room.. you act like you're telling me something I dont know..
Old 02-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

No it won't.If I shoot a deer in the same spot shooting uphill at a 45 deg angle as I would shooting downhill at a 45 deg angle,it won't pass through the boiler room.

But I was splitting hairs.[8D]
Old 02-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is a chart for one of my hunting setups to show some differences in uphill/downhill shots as well as the difference with different angles and distances.

I worked a few scenarios to show how little the difference is in "normal" hunting conditions.

Of course,this is for those that care.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:33 PM

This is getting good. I am still waiting for one single valid reason to NOT buy a model with ARC, when buying new anyway...can't seem to get one.[&:]
Old 02-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

TFOX,I see sort of what you're getting at, but you clearly have no phsyics background. Shooting uphill, or downhill are the exact same if given the same angle. Shooting 10 degrees uphill, will be the same as shooting 10 degrees downhill. Theres no difference in where you would aim. Weird huh? And for your application of being 20 foot up a tree, and shooting another 30 downhill, thats all fine and dandy, but I'm still shooting with my 20 yard pin. And then I'm going to stop hunting off cliffs.
What the heck makes you think I don't know that?

I am well awair of how an arrow drops,up or downhill.The reason I said to try it shooting uphill is because it is IMPOSSIBLE to range a tree straighht out if shooting uphill.In this situation,you would need countless hours of practice with this type of shot to make it OR,one of these rangefinders.

BUT,there is a difference in where you AIM when shooting uphill verses downhill,you just shoot them both for the same yardage.Wierd HUH

OH,and sight paralax does make an uphill shot slightly different than a downhill shot,as does gravity when you get into greater distances but neither will be encountered in a hunting situation.[:-]
you're splitting hairs.. the entrance would be in a different spot, whether shooting from uphill or downhill or the animal, but the arrow will still pass through the boiler room.. you act like you're telling me something I dont know..
You must have missed the part tfox.. i'll let it slide this time..

One reason.. because i can do these calculations in my head.. no need to spend an extra $100..
Old 02-13-2009, 03:53 PM

One reason.. because i can do these calculations in my head.. no need to spend an extra $100..
You range an animal at 40 yards on a 45 degree downward angle, what is the true yardage...no calculator, these cosine charts are in your head!

Where are these extra $100 figures coming from? For equal quality rangefinders...the price difference is nonexistent now between ARC and nonARC models. But hey, don't feel obligated to waste your money on a free feature by any means.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I thought you were trying to say you aim the same,which you had already stated and then said the impact would be different,yea,I missed it.

The difference of equal quality rangefinders is about 50 bucks,OR LESS.If that is a difference maker,then so be it,don't buy one.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

You range an animal at 40 yards on a 45 degree downward angle, what is the true yardage...no calculator, these cosine charts are in your head!

Where are these extra $100 figures coming from? For equal quality rangefinders...the price difference is nonexistent now between ARC and nonARC models. But hey, don't feel obligated to waste your money on a free feature by any means.
if it was downhill I'd just range a tree at the same height as myself..