HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rangefinders w/ ARC etc.???
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 01:25 PM
TFOX
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rangefinders w/ ARC etc.???

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

ORIGINAL: excalibur43

LOL, I have made this shot countless times from my target stand ( Platform in my tree) in my backyard. I can shoot it from my stand, come down to the ground and shoot it again with the same pin, with the same results.I do understand what you are saying, but from what I have found out by practicing from different heights, is that, I could not encounter an angle steep enough to make a real difference. I'm not saying that that doesn't happen in some hunting situations, but here in Ohio, I usually hunt from about 18-22 feet in my stand, and the " Arc" just doesn't come into play in this situation.
That's because 18-22 feet only equals 6-7 yards, when taken relative to the 20-40 yard shot (hypotenuse) that's nothing (meaning that your shot angle "theta" is minimal). The shot angle doesn't become substantial until the critter is in under you but then the distance is so close that it again, just doesn't matter. You can't get enough yards up into a tree to make a difference and still hunt safely. That's why ARC won't ever be of any practical use to a treestand hunter, even though the advertising would like to convince you otherwise.
Unless you hunt out of deer stands in hilly country.As I do.