Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Which Mechanical Broadheads?? >

Which Mechanical Broadheads??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which Mechanical Broadheads??

Old 01-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which Mechanical Broadheads??

If you have enough ENERGY, minimum 60ft/#'s, then I think you can consider a Mech. BH. BUT, I think you should still tune to shoot Fixed BH's well, because it will optimize your bows tune to you're specific shooting form. It's not nearly as much about SPEED as it is about energy with many set-ups. If you get 280fps out of a 255gr arrow, you have absolutely no business putting a Rage 2 or 3 blade on the tip of that arrow. You may even find some TARGET archers putting BH's on arrows to FINE TUNE their target bows, because they accentuate any tuning issues and allows for that ultimate fine tune.

"I like to get my KE from a light arrow and lots of speed"

Statements like this show how mislead some are by thinking they're optimizing KE with SPEED. There's a point with most set-ups where you will find an optimal KE, and it's not gonna be with an IBO arrow, that is for sure.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:25 PM

So I have been thinking about shooting mechanicals being a new bowhunter myself, but alot of these posts are discouraging me from doing so. Does anyone have any suggestions for a fixed blade that will fly the same as my field points so I do not have to tune? That is why I have thought about trying the RAGE broadheads!
Old 01-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cmill20

So I have been thinking about shooting mechanicals being a new bowhunter myself, but alot of these posts are discouraging me from doing so. Does anyone have any suggestions for a fixed blade that will fly the same as my field points so I do not have to tune? That is why I have thought about trying the RAGE broadheads!
Your bow should still be in tune!
Old 01-06-2009, 08:29 PM

Well I mean fixed broadheads that fly the same as field points?
Old 01-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't read the entire thread.In fact, as soon as I came across someone crying about grammatical errors I skipped to the last page...

I used Tekkens used ago...they were absolutely junk.

I then switched to Spitfire XP. Those things freakin' rock! Lots of animals have fallen from my arrows tipped with that broadhead. I can't say enough about the lethality of this product.

BUT....my buddy bought me some Rage 2 blades for xmas this year...so I'm obligated to try them out. I've heard mixed views on them....so forgive me if I'm somewhat leary of them.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cmill20

Well I mean fixed broadheads that fly the same as field points?
Cole,
Often times, even the best flying BH's will not hit perfect with your FP's until you fine tune the bow. BH tuning is for many and "end-all" tuning, and will in many cases make you shoot FP's better as well. For the most part, you move the REST in very small increments towards the direction you want your BH grouping to go, meaning if your BH's are hitting 5" higher than FP, adjust the rest DOWN a very small bit, and shoot again (or moving your nocking point UP a small amount can also help). Here's a good link that show step-by-step how to do it..... http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=539460 .
Old 01-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

If I use a fixed blade and hit a deer high at a flat trajectory, will there be a blood trail? If I use a mechanical and hit a deer high at a flat trajectory, will I have a blood trail? If you want a blood trail, think about your trajectory, shot placement, and blade selection to get a large cutting diameter while ensuring a pass-through. Switching away from a mechanical broadhead because you did not get a blood trial is rather ignorant and I do not mean that in a negative way. And, just because all of the aforementioned items were taken, does not mean that you will have a blood trail. I shot a doe that was looking at me at a 45 degree angle maybe more toward broadside. She saw me when I drew but I took the shot anyway. Poor decision. I was ~20' in a tree, she was 15 yds from the tree (please don't use trig) and she may have moved with my shot. The arrow was a perfect height and distance back, but it went in and then out between her legs. Not sure if it was her move or the arrow hitting something in the deer. Luckily, I saw her fall within 50 yds. Not 1 drop of blood. The arrow pulled her intestines out the exit hole making a perfect seal. IMO, the muzzy did its job. Shooting with a deer in alert mode, bad decision on my part. One more suggestion, the individual claiming that rage BHs fail to open 30% of the time, this is absurd. One speaking about ice and weather conditions impacting rage, not the case in my experience and I hunted in the worst that MI, PA, and WV had to offer this year. With all of that said, I will continue to shoot rage and report the facts. Hopefully, I will continue to have success and I hope that you all have the BEST success no matter what your selection is.