Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Mechanical Broadheads

Old 09-18-2002, 01:11 PM

Default Mechanical Broadheads

My friend and I decided to try the spitfire mechanical broadheads this year and were disappointed. He uses a crossbow that he has a permit for and shot a deer at 22 yards broadside. The bolt only penetrated 10 inches or half its lenght. There was hardly any blood trail but found his deer about 100 yards away because it was light out and shot the deer in the morning. I shot a deer with a compound bow about 10 yards behind the shoulder also broadside and the arrow did not blow through. Is this a coincidence or do you get less penetration using mechanical broadheads? Has anyone else had a similar problem?
What do the outfitters say or recommend? When my friend and I used the 100 grain muzzies the shots blew through and we had good blood trails.
Any comments are appreciated Thanks
Old 09-18-2002, 04:26 PM
Spike

Default RE: Mechanical Broadheads

Al V,
It sounds like your shot placement was good. However, you didn't mention the draw weight of your bow, length of your arrows, the size of your arrow shafts (2216, 2018, 2117, etc.), type of arrows (aluminum or carbon) and more importantly....how good is your arrow flight with and without broadheads. There is a number of things that could cause poor penetration.

There's no doubt that it takes more kenetic energy to push a mechanical broadhead through an animal. That's why you don't see traditional guys using them.

I've heard "horror" stories like your's before, but at least you found your deer. Congradulations on a good tracking job! I hope I can help you, but I need more information.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Guns cause crime, like silverware causes Rosie O'Donnell to be fat.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

I have used Rocket Miniblasters for three years and I never had any problem with them and they always go right through them even when I shoot a little to far forwards. They only cost $21.99 for three. Good bowhunting.
Old 09-19-2002, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

It could be any number of things, not enough KE, bows not properly tuned, etc. Spitfires are slower to open than some other mechanicals, and they may have contibuted to the poor penetration, that and the fact that they are larger in cutting diameter than your muzzys are probably the biggest reasons why. Spittfires are very good heads, but you need a well tuned bow and at minimum 55 ft/lbs of energy.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS