Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mechanical broadheads for elk >

Mechanical broadheads for elk

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mechanical broadheads for elk

Old 08-27-2004, 09:08 AM

Default Mechanical broadheads for elk

I'm currently shooting 100 gr. 3-blade Muzzys and will use them (hopefully) on an elk in a couple of weeks, but I've been considering using some mechanicals in the future. I was wondering how many of you veteran elk bowhunters use mechanicals. Which ones and what's the setup on your bow, i.e. draw weight and arrow speed?

Mostly I hunt deer, but if I were to try the mechs I would like to find one that would be durable and reliable enough for elk as well.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:55 AM

Default RE: Mechanical broadheads for elk

I have been shooting mech's for years on deer and love the jakhammers. That said I would never use them for Elk. That Muzzy you are already shooting is all you will ever need for those big bugling deer. Good luck with the elk hunt, this will be the first time in 5 years I'm not headed to Colorado for elk. Aw-well there is always next year.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:12 PM

http://www.rockymtbroadheads.com/03ironhead-xp.html

Try this one? I just picked up a pack, will be my first mechanicals. I'm admittedly a small fixed blade fan in favor of maximum penetration so here's the reasons i like this one over all the other mechanicals i've looked at.
1. 2 blades open with 1 1/8" cut diam. so should be dynamite for penetration.
2. The cut on contact tip, which kinda makes it a four blade, but should open up the wound channel better than a two blade slit for better blood loss?
3. NO O-RINGS!!! I just picked mine up two minutes ago and played with them, very smart head to me. Its like they a spring washer in between the blades so they have some friction, but not too much. Slicker than whale poop on an iceberg me figures.

Anyhow, i'm sure others will chime in, but that would be my vote for mechanical...my next vote would be stick to the tough fixed blade...

Good luck.

B
Old 08-27-2004, 09:57 PM

Never hunted elk but I hunt moose and would never recommend using a mechanical for large game. Not much can go wrong with a fixed blade head but I`ve listen to alot of horror stories about what did go wrong on moose with mechanicals. Not worth the risk in my opinion there`s just too many good fixed blade heads out there.