Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Late season success? >

Late season success?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Late season success?

Old 12-22-2008, 03:20 PM

Default RE: Late season success?

Tagged this little one a week after our gun season ended.
(but the muzzleloader season runs concurrently with the opening of the late bow season thus the orange)

Found a spot that was in between a couple bedding areas, and a uncut cornfield. Figured the does would come in and the bucks would follow looking for the un-bred ones.

Someone said it before, but that has been my motivator for the last few years, you can't shoot deer sitting at home on the couch......tagged out this year before it got cold, but I did sit out a couple times last year below zero and very windy (had deer in range both nights) so even though it is cold to you, the deer will move in that weather if you can find them
Old 12-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

During the late season I have always had better success in the afternoons. Since food sources around here are so hard to find, I try to key in on bedding areas. I want to be as close as I can to those so that when the deer leak out and start their movement to feed, I am right there to shoot. If I am too far away, I risk not seeing the deer during daylight hours. I like to set-up next to where thickets and hardwoods produce an inside edge where the deer feel comfortable moving even when the leaves have dropped. I love hunting the late season because no one else is in the woods.
This is EXACTLY what I do, for the exact same reasons! I couldn't have described it any better. I did see 2 doe on the way in this afternoon, feeding on the grassy lane that goes through the giant thicket that I hunt. I didn't see anything from my stand though.I also spooked 4 doe feeding on the same lane on the way out this evening.[:@] Oh well, at least I saw some deer for a change!
Old 12-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah i need help too. i want a deer this year
Old 12-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

I've had some luck in late season, but not consistently. This afternoon I saw 15 deer feeding in the wheat field...again, with at least one nice buck. But they are playing eeny, meeny, miiny, moe because you never know where they are entering the field from. From my experiences, right now hunting on the ground is just as effective as sitting in a stand.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:11 AM

Cougar Mag, you might wanna try a buck decoy. I think any buck that comes out will come check it out. Just make sure the wind is from the decoy to you.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

I shot a nice doe on 12/13. By far the latest in the season I have scored.
I was about 30 yards off of a clear cut that was/is being logged, the cut trees were laying in piles waiting to be picked up. The loggers were working about 150 yards away. Right at dark, 2 deer came from in the woods I was in and made a b-line right to those tree tops to eat. I made a nice shot on her when the opportunity presented itself.

There were a ton of tracks in the snow all along the edge of the the cut down trees. They will most likely come at dark though..
Good luck!
Old 12-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Slammer buck bro congrats
Old 12-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got some good late season advice from Grizzly. He told me to find a late season food source in the woods.. I set up on some berry bushes the deer were hitting and put a doe down yesterday. It was VERY cold, but I think thats why they are hittin the berries so hard. They gotta get up and move/eat every few hours to stay warm when the wind chills are in the negatives