Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

late season success?

Old 12-03-2008, 07:31 PM

Default late season success?

the last weekend of ny gun season is coming up and had no luck these past few weeks. i was wondering how many of you guys filled your tags at the very last minute? hopefully i get lucky this weekend and put some meat in the freezer.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: late season success?

I am in the same boat here in NH. Most of my buddies have already filled their tag. It's now bucks only and I'll hit it hard starting early Sat am.

Yes, we have been successful shooting bucks in years past hunting the last weekend. I will setup where I have seen deer activity the last two weekends and hope for the best.

Good Luck to ya!
Old 12-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

moss50012

The first buck I ever shot was a 6 pointer that I got on the last Saturday of N.Y."s rifle season.
I was still hunting state land in Ulster County during mid-day using the wind to my favor and came up on a few does and this 6 pointer slowly walking thru the woods.
I've also take a few does, a spike and a 4 point on the last weekend.

I have found that if you are hunting in an area where you can see more than 50 yds, you are probably in the wrong area. Concentrate on the edge of thick cover.

Good Luck
Old 12-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Late season is almost as good as the rut with the right location. I have shot 4 B&C bucks from Dec 2nd to the end of the season. Doe's have a 2nd estrus cycle and the bucks need food to regain fat reserves they burned during the 1st rut. Food and doe sources go hand in hand and are you best bet. The deer are settling down after being chased by the small buck shooters and your chances are good. Hang in there you never know what might show.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Havent had much luck at all during gun season either. Got 3 more days to get it done with the rifle and Im counting on some last minute success. If not, this will be the 1st time, I actually go out during muzzleloader season, in 4 years , since I usually have 4-5 deer in the freezer by now.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:34 PM

Two years ago I shot a doe at 4:55pm (shooting time ended at 5pm) on the last day of Ohio's one week deer gun season. Came out in the field to feed all on her own. I guess not technically last minute since Ohio has been running an extra weekend two weeks later, but it was a successful hunt after the deer had been shot at for a week.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ii havent shot anything yet, conditions arent good, deer arent feeding up here yet
Old 12-05-2008, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep your chin up, you need the positive vibz.
My buddy got a corker 8 pointer on the last day of the season, and the last 10 minutes of the season, 3 years ago.
He almost got down 5 minutes before shooting his Buck as he was cold.
The magic twilight time is just before the end of the day, so hang in there! You'll get one.

You to Jimmy S.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always seem to connect at the last minute... hang in there... it'll happen..
Old 12-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

Keep your chin up, you need the positive vibz.
My buddy got a corker 8 pointer on the last day of the season, and the last 10 minutes of the season, 3 years ago.
He almost got down 5 minutes before shooting his Buck as he was cold.
The magic twilight time is just before the end of the day, so hang in there! You'll get one.

You to Jimmy S.
Thanks Ed. Gonna be sad this last weekend closing the camp for another year. Will be back up in April fly fishing for those NH trout. Of course my first order of business in punching my tag. I have had an up an down season. I have seen deer 2 out of every3 times in times in the woods. I saw a nice 8 pointer last Sat am but could not identify the antlers until it was too late. Hopefully we'll meet again this weekend. Thanks for the words of encouragment. And Good Luck to all.