Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Late season success? >

Late season success?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Late season success?

Old 12-20-2008, 11:19 AM
Spike

Default Late season success?

How many of you guys have had good luck during the late season, particularly after gun season? If so, elaborate,what tactics did you use?
Old 12-20-2008, 11:44 AM

Default RE: Late season success?

Well it hasn't been a good late season so far..Im just simply not seeing as many deer! I like to get out in the woods a couple of hrs before sundown...I try to find a heavily used trail that is leading to a food source, you should see good movement a half hour before sundown!
Old 12-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had an alright hunt the other day in the snow, atleast seeing deer. After gun seasonsightings went down majorly.I mainly got out because I wanted to do some scouting in the snow.... didn't see anything during the morning, and then peeked over a ridge and spotted 5 does/fawns bedded down. One had me pegged, and the rest of the story is obvious. As far as success on alate season kill. Not yet, but Im not quitin. good luck
Old 12-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Spike

I have the same problem, just not seeing the deer.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

me too im ready for turkey season
Old 12-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Banned

I took my biggest buck of the season and a mature doe late season. My secret is to get my butt off of the couch and go..can't kill anything layin around and scratchin where it itches.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the nothern latitudes it is all about food sources. Find them and you will have deer all over concentrated around the food. I took a young hunter out last week (gun hunt but still relavent example) in a major funnel back behind unpicked corn and soybean fields and I had the two greatest hunts of my life for total deer #s. We saw about 40 the first night and 29 the next. We saw bucks too but none he wanted to shoot.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

The colder the better with snow on the ground is the best. I key in on the food sources, works for me! Good luck!
Old 12-22-2008, 08:22 AM

I would take late season over early season if I had to choose. Especially in IL, I have had some great late season hunts. Mornings usually not very good for me.I like evenings and mid day hunts during full or new moon periods. When it is extremely cold like now, early afternoons have been good, so I would try to be settled in around 1.

My buddy killed a nice buck (150ish) in IL Sat evening. It was the third time he had seen that buck since second shotgun season.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wish I had a place that produced a tenth of the action you guys talk about for late season.

Quick Reply: Late season success?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.