Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Late Season Success! >

Late Season Success!

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Late Season Success!

Old 12-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default Late Season Success!

Hey Guys,
I finally talked my Father-in-Law into buying a crossbow and hunting with me. He is older and has Diabetes, so I like having him close to me when we hunt so I can make sure he is OK and get to him quick if he needs help.

On Saturday I took him to one of my secret spots that I have been saving for him. I have been seeing a Monster 8pter on the trailcam and told him the wind would be right on Saturday and get up and hunt with me. He agreed and I went in on Wednesday and put up a stand about 8 yards from the existing ladder so I could sit next to him. The weather was cold and clear with a massive low pressure system heading in, a perfect hunting day. We got in the stands early and he gave me grief that I didn't even carry my bow. I told him it was his day and I would be his personal guide today. Right of the bat we had a button buck feed by and he was around for the entire morning. About 7am I caught movement about 125 yards to the right of my stand. I saw it was a big deer, but could not lift my bino's because of the button in front of us. As the deer got closer I knew who he was. It was the Big 8 from my camera. He was coming in on the same trail as the button. He got about 50 yards from us and began a long circle to check the wind. It took him 25 minutes to make it around and enter the funnel we were set up in. He then got a whiff of something and got real jittery. He looked at us putting his head up and down from behind different trees for another 20 minutes. After this game he decided the fun was up and stiff legged it into a quartering away position at 24 yards away. My father-in-law lifted the crossbow and let it fly. Perfect hit! The deer ran 10 yards, stopped and walked another 30 and then fell over. I could not have written a script any better than how this worked out. I don't have the words to put down that would describe how cool it was helping him take this Buck. I am taking it to the taxidermist today and he wants to put it up in my trophy room so when my son, his grandson, shoots his first buck there will be 3 generations of bucks on the wall. I am truly a blessed guy to have a Father-in-Law that loves to hunt and spend time in the woods with me. All of my pictures are too big to post, if I can email it to any of you and you could post it I would be appreciative. Just PM me or send me an email.

Mike
Old 12-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Late Season Success!

Congrats! thanks for the story, cudo's to ya!!
Old 12-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Great story Mike! Just wonderfull! Contratulations to you and your father inlaw.
You can size them down with photobucket (free) or by windows paint. I'm sure there are many other ways.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks DNK,

That was easier than I thought. Here is the Buck and a Trailcam shot of him.

MIKE

Old 12-04-2006, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry guys, Here is one of the trailcam pics of this buck. Man it is fun hunting one deer until you find him. I know a lot of hunters don't like this, I think it is really challenging and fun. That is after the freezer is full of course.

MC

Old 12-04-2006, 10:47 AM

Gratz to you and your Father-In-Law, those will be some special memories you are passing down, 3 Generations of Bucks mounted,and I know you will both enjoy the memories of that hunt. Cant get much better than that!
Old 12-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Oh, Oh, Oh!!!!!! Yeeehaw! I bet your dad-inlaw just about pooped his pants over that! LOL! I guess its one for the memory banks for the two of you. That is some nice animal and you gave it to him. Mike you are a hero! Thats real hunting. My hunting buddy and I are like that, we really like wathing the other smaking something! Well Mike it warms my heart to hear stories like that but even better when you realize that you "gave" him that animal!!!!
Old 12-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

wow....nice high rack. great relationship you have with your father-inlaw. what a nice thing to do. many happy memories there.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow!! That's a beauty! What's wrong w/ hunting a particular buck?? Seems to me it would be all the more challenging. That makes your story all the better, nice gift of sorts! I bet you got more pleasure seeing him get it than you would have gotten had you gigged him!
Old 12-04-2006, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

what a buck congrats to you and your father guess your one proud son huh..

Quick Reply: Late Season Success!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.