Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's the difference!!?? >

What's the difference!!??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's the difference!!??

Old 12-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What's the difference!!??

You're right on the killing ranges, most guys kill between 5-25 yards, anything after that becomes difficult. When I hear of guys killing at 50-60 yards and thenbragging about it, I wonder to myself how many deer has this guy wounded that he's not talking about, it's a low percentage shot, even fora pro as unlike 3D targets, real deer move. 40 yards is my limit and it has to be a perfect presentation in orderto take that shot.Mylongest was 42,and closest was 1 yard. [/align][/align]It takes much more skill to harvest a deer with a recurve over a compound even at short yardage ranges. It's like comparing a non rifledshotgun slug gun to ascopedrifle. Besides being slower and less efficient, the shot is more of a pull and release compared to a compound that you can draw undetectedand canwait motionless30 seconds orlonger until the deer is in shootingposition. We had a guy on this hunting trip a few years back and he was hooked on traditional archery. He wounded two deer and missed three deer in one season, he switch to a compound and now he's a real slayer.Not everyone can master a recurve, I wouldn't hunt with one for the simple reason that it would reduce my effective killingrange from 40 yards to 20 yards max but for guys like Shultzy who've mastered therecurve and are lethal and proficient with it, well,I've got to take my hat off to them. [/align]
Old 12-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Dominant Buck

I just like bow hunting better but I still like gun hunting. I am not a purist and there is nothing wrong with being one as long as you don't condem me or my methods of hunting.
Thank you. Well said.

Greg...How does gun hunting give you mor e"in woods" time? Just curious if bowhunting during firearms season is illegal where you hunt (I think it may be in a few places)? Thanks.

If you're hunting legally and ethically....you'll get no condemnation out of me.

PT...difference of opinion. If I post a shotgun killed turkey (I wouldn't) in the bowhunting forum....I'd consider that (in my eyes) disrespectful. I'm not saying I'm right. I'm saying how it would make me feel about it.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: jackflap

I know I can be proficient with a recurve out to 20 yards without too much trouble.
Seeing as though you have hunted and been successful with one, I am not doubting that statement in regards to yourself, but I think it is an overstatement if applied to the general compound bowhunting population, at least certainly when applied to myself.

I do not feel comfortable with my proficiency with a recurve at 20 yards. Granted, if that is all I had to shoot and practiced real hard, no doubt I would gain in accuracy/consistency than where I am today, but even then I don't think I would ever get as comfortable shooting a recurve at 20 yards as compared to my comfort level witha compound at 40 yards.

My hunting country is open and is not as conducive to bowhunting as some areas of the country. There aren't a whole lot of us. The 4 doe I have taken this year were at 16 yards, 23 yards, 34 yards, and 38 yards. I was comfortable with every shot.

And I am speaking in candor withno self deprecationor humbleness intended when I say maybe those yardages speak for themselves and are an indication of my ineptness as a bowhunter in that I can't get them closer, and only use our "open terrain" as an excuse.

All Iknow is that I have been asuccsesful and consistent compound bowhunter for a good number of years now that would likely flounder and would have had little to show on the meat pole if all I could use was Trad gear.
I think I covered this.

I never set up for 40 yard field shots, nor do I hunt in wide open terrain. Those things would definitely make a difference. Where I hunt they would not.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Greg....for a LOT of people...HOW they hunt defines them as hunters.
I was just thinking that it's the hunting that makes the hunt, not the weapon.
Greg I mentioned earlier that there are thos who use archery season as ONLY an opportunity to get more woods time until the other seasons open. NOTHING wrong with that. Are you this way?

Old 12-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Greg...How does gun hunting give you mor e"in woods" time? Just curious if bowhunting during firearms season is illegal where you hunt (I think it may be in a few places)? Thanks.
GMMAT, maybe you didn't see the post where I said there was a time that I really slacked off of bow hunting. It's the bow hunting that gives me the time, not the gun hunting.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Greg I mentioned earlier that there are thos who use archery season as ONLY an opportunity to get more woods time until the other seasons open. NOTHING wrong with that. Are you this way?
I like to be around deer as much as I can because that is how I study them. I believe that if there is a big secret to getting big bucks, this is it.

Even I, being an empty nestor, have time constraints. Hopefully, retirement in the future will allow me a bit more time to study these animals even more.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

it makes perfect sense! i know what you mean! i want to pick up traditional archery, but no matter where i move my set up around in that same area, the bucks wont come to less than 30 yards or so. i dont even like to take a shot like that with my compound so why would i want to do that with a wood bow without sights. its all about the setup and confidence in my opinion! good luck to you and i hope you pick traditional archery up again!
Old 12-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Site Bouncer

GregH,

I agree with you and I don't see a bit of difference. Starting at the same level (trad gear) and moving up to compound gear (although I am a bit younger at 43) I simply used what was available at the time.

Choosing a weapon to hunt with IMHO doesn't define you as a hunter, it simply shows your different hunting style.How you hunt doesn't define you either although is says more about you (as a hunter) than the weapon you use. Some folks like trad gear, others compounds, still some prefer other types of weapons but that's not what Greg was asking so I'll keep it limited to trad vs compounds.

The problem with all this (and the reason why these threadsend up going south) is human nature. Yep the indelible need for folks to feel that their weapon of choice somehow automatically gives them a "leg up" on their fellow hunters. It usually coincides with the perceived skill level needed to utilize the particular weaponand there you have it...the prime environment for elitism to fester.

It reminds me of theDr. Zeuss show about theSneeches,youknow, some had stars on their bellies and others did not. It's human nature to want to feel superior to others and it's seen right here on this web sight. Most people here however are grown up enough to figure out that hunting is a pastime and a recreation. A way to enjoy the outdoors and unlock our primal instincts to get out and bring home food...to hunt. The problem is some folks go too "primal" and forget all aboutwhat it is to be a civilized adult and keep their feelings of superiority (as ill-gotten as they are)in check.

There is nothing wrong with thinking your way is tougher or "truer" to the sport but when you start to belittle another based solely on the type of weapon they choose to hunt with and call to question their commitment and love for hunting because of it, thenthe corner has been turned and your heading down elitist street! (not saying anyone has done this on this thread)

It doesn't matter if your talking about trad vs compound or bow vs gun it's all hunting, andat timesno matter what weapon is in your hands it can be super easy and other times extremely difficult. I agree withGreg here, the hunt or "journey"will prove to be far more difficult that the means of whichyou choose to end it with.

The sooner folks can get past what weapon isin their hands the better off ALL of hunting will be....sadly, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Great thread Greg!

Old 12-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I started out hunting with a recurve, and now 20 some years later I am back to shooting trad bows pretty solid for 2 years. I am still looking for my first kill with them. I practice my longbow literally 100x more than my compound, yet even as good as I think I can get with it, there is NO WAY I could ever replicate the confidence I have in my abilities with my compound. And also for the record I am a guy who routinely shoots the majority of my deer at less than 15 yds. All "slam dunks" even with trad gear huh. Maybe to some, but certainly not me.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Are youtalking about them bows that shoot the arrows with the little plunger thingy on the end?? I used to be deadly with one of them suckers sticking them to my moms TV. [8D]

Quick Reply: What's the difference!!??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.