HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's the difference!!??
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 04:17 PM
GregH
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: What's the difference!!??

ORIGINAL: jackflap

I know I can be proficient with a recurve out to 20 yards without too much trouble.
Seeing as though you have hunted and been successful with one, I am not doubting that statement in regards to yourself, but I think it is an overstatement if applied to the general compound bowhunting population, at least certainly when applied to myself.

I do not feel comfortable with my proficiency with a recurve at 20 yards. Granted, if that is all I had to shoot and practiced real hard, no doubt I would gain in accuracy/consistency than where I am today, but even then I don't think I would ever get as comfortable shooting a recurve at 20 yards as compared to my comfort level witha compound at 40 yards.

My hunting country is open and is not as conducive to bowhunting as some areas of the country. There aren't a whole lot of us. The 4 doe I have taken this year were at 16 yards, 23 yards, 34 yards, and 38 yards. I was comfortable with every shot.

And I am speaking in candor withno self deprecationor humbleness intended when I say maybe those yardages speak for themselves and are an indication of my ineptness as a bowhunter in that I can't get them closer, and only use our "open terrain" as an excuse.

All Iknow is that I have been asuccsesful and consistent compound bowhunter for a good number of years now that would likely flounder and would have had little to show on the meat pole if all I could use was Trad gear.
I think I covered this.

I never set up for 40 yard field shots, nor do I hunt in wide open terrain. Those things would definitely make a difference. Where I hunt they would not.