Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's the difference!!?? >

What's the difference!!??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's the difference!!??

Old 12-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default What's the difference!!??

A couple of these threads got me thinking.

What is the difference in what weapon you use, strictly archery as in traditional or compound.

I started out hunting with a recurve. I shot my first deer with one when I was 12. It was a nice 6 pointer at 15 yards running fast as hell. I was hooked. I swore to my dad that I'd never hunt with one of those mechanical gadgets that were coming out, called compound bows! [:'(]

Well, here I am, not only am I hunting with one, I shot for HCA for 7 or 8 years. I got my first one in 1983 although I started hunting in 1967. One thing is for sure...... I will some day hunt with a recurve again. Not for the challenge but because I like the look and feel of them. They are a work of art.

Now here is what I think...........

It doesn't matter which type of bow I use because for me it's about the skill of hunting. I prefer a 15 yard broadside shot at a deer, even with a compound. I know I can be proficient with a recurve out to 20 yards without too much trouble. The last 6 bucks I shot were at 6, 14, 20, 12, 17 and 12 yards respectively. I'm saying that I could have killed them with a recurve as well. The compound I used was not a huge significant difference.

To me it's about the hunt. I spend an awful lot of time trying to find and set up the perfect stand to give me the slam dunk shot. It's something that I take pride in. I never set up for 40 yard field shots, nor do I hunt in wide open terrain. Those things would definitely make a difference. Where I hunt they would not.

What are your thoughts?
Old 12-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's the difference!!??

My thoughts are that if it were I, a lowly peasant, who posted this thread I would be ripped to shreds. But since you are an idol of many including mine, I think you're safe. LOL I'm only half way kidding.

It is the way in which you arranged and presented your thoughts that make it easier to understand where you're coming from. I agree, if you are proficient with both out to 20, there's not a whole lot of difference in my "traditional"ly inexperienced eyes.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Dominant Buck

The compound I used was not a huge significant difference.
I have to wonder a few things....

1. Would I be able to draw at the same time with the longbow as I do with the compound? Answer....probably....but it would cost me a few opportunities with trad gear.

2. Would I be able to hunt at the same height with the trad gear and assure an ethical shot angle? No way.

3. When is most of my success? Answer....after leaf drop. At 10-12' height after leaf drop I'm more of a sitting duck than I am at 23'.

4. What did it take for me to BECOME proficient with trad gear? WAY more than it did with a compound.

5. How long can I hold my 50# (at 28") bow at full draw if need be? That's 0% letoff we're talking about. Not long.

It doesn't matter which type of bow I use because for me it's about the skill of hunting.
Just a difference of opinon. I respect that you feel that way. I just disagree. I've taken 6 whitetails this season. How many do I legitimately think would have been taken if I had traditional tackle in my hands? "Maybe" 1.

My shots this year have been from 8, 23, 10, 33, 5 and 5 yds, respectively.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gotta agree with ya there. All your points are valid. I would hunt with a recurve more, but I cant shoot them worth spit out of a stand (yet) and hunting off the ground plays too many mind games with me. But really, once you get them to within 20 yards, you did what you set out to do, the hunting part is over. Next all you gotta do is shoot them, simple right?
Old 12-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

4. What did it take for me to BECOME proficient with trad gear? WAY more than it did with a compound.
Hell Jeff, it took me almost a year to become proficient walking. Now, some 32 years later, its almost second nature.[8D]

I see your point. Just busting your balls.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:08 PM

Granted I was proficient to 20, my buck would have been a slam dunk shot with a trad bow. I drew and shot almost simultaneously, and he couldn't have been more than 12 yards from a 14ft stand...still need to step it off and get the arrow I forgot and left down there[:@].

I agree that for the actual hunt part, not much is different IMO. I think its just all the extra work getting to that proficient stage, and maintaining your skill level. Like you said, its a work of art.

My friend picked up a recurve to try the more challenging aspect of it, and already has killed a few turkey stalking and a 120" Nontypical buck from 8 yards. He said if you practiced with a recurve like most of us already do with a compound (whether we need to or not), there isn't much difference.

I can't say, as Ive never tried it. I will be trying it sometime in the future though...something about it just seems too cool to not try atleast once.

GMMAT, you stumped me...how come trad hunters can't hunt as high as compound hunters? Not looking for debate, just honestly don't know.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

While Iappreciate the traditional look and feel of shooting arecurve, I love the mechanical aspect of the compound. The stealth and being able to hold at full draw. The high tech sights, releases and arrow rest. Must have been allthe Rambo movies. Or the Duke boys.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

The older I get the less I care about what others do while they hunt as long as it is not illegal. To me, the experience is everything. I had a lady brag to me at work that her husband killed X amount of bucks/deer with his guns this year. I told her good for him and that I really do not care that he killed more deer than me, for I am in competition with myself and the deer alone, not anyone else.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

GMMAT, you stumped me...how come trad hunters can't hunt as high as compound hunters? Not looking for debate, just honestly don't know.
I know that I wouldn't be changing my stand height based on what weapon (bow) I was using. I set my stands only as high as they need to be in order to get the shots I want. I like 17 to 23 feet.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Trevor.....if you're "that good", nothing (talking about accuracy from 20'+ v. what I would imagine to be more typical traditional stand heights).

I don't know (OK....I know 1) too many that good with traditional gear.

No debate, at all. When we're 20+' and a deer's at 5 yds....we'd better be sure of our shot placement. It's a delicate (understatement) margin for error. I can't imagine taking that shot with trad gear. I hunt at lower heights to compensate for this (shortcoming?.....or reality check?).

I think it would be interesting to hear the heights the guys who get it done with trad gear every year (burnie?; BobCo?: Schultzy?;Others?) are hunting from. I'm interested.

Quick Reply: What's the difference!!??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.