Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's the difference!!?? >

What's the difference!!??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's the difference!!??

Old 12-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's the difference!!??

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

The older I get the less I care about what others do while they hunt as long as it is not illegal. To me, the experience is everything. I had a lady brag to me at work that her husband killed X amount of bucks/deer with his guns this year. I told her good for him and that I really do not care that he killed more deer than me, for I am in competition with myself and the deer alone, not anyone else.

wow, that's exactly what I was thinking.
Only to add... All I want to do is hunt.
Doesn't matter what or with what, I just want to hunt
Old 12-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

It doesn't matter which type of bow I use because for me it's about the skill of hunting.

To me it's about the hunt.
My thoughts mirror yours Greg. The difference is intangible to everyone except those who expereince it.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Greg....for a LOT of people...HOW they hunt defines them as hunters. The end (dead deer down) wouldn't justify the means, to many, if the animal wasn't taken on their terms.

For someone (not saying you do, at all) who views bowhunting as an opportunity to gain more woods time (and who switches off to other weapons as the seasons open)....and nothing else.....I don't see them buying into this train of thought.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well the recurve/longbow is harder to master (absolute draw length on compounds are a help if nothing else) but on the plus side I don't have to worry about any gadget failing me, just my head. I've always liked simple over elaborate and so I naturally gravitated to a recurve. Most of my shots, bow and gun are close. Furthest I've shot was 100 yards this year at a bear with a gun. Most shots are under 50 and for bow under 20.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

For someone (not saying you do, at all) who views bowhunting as an opportunity to gain more woods time (and who switches off to other weapons as the seasons open)....and nothing else.....I don't see them buying into this train of thought.
Thats me to a T. I don't get anymore excitement from bowhunting that I do gunhunting. It just allows me to hunt for 3 and a half months vs 7 days.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting is a personal sport. We all have our own reasons why we do it. Each of us makes the decision what type of hunt we want. That includes areas, type of terrain, type of weapon, size and or # of deer, etc. Being able to adjust your hunt to what suits you is what makes hunting fun. My season goes thru many changes including type of weapon and hunting style. I enjoy each and enjoy each for totally different reasons.
I'm proud of every deer I take with any weapon I use. I don't consider one deer to be more of a trophy just because of the weapon I choose. I wish everyone felt this way. I pity those that don't. When we look down our noses at others because of the weapon they use the whole sport of deer hunting suffers.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

All I want to do is hunt.
Doesn't matter what or with what, I just want to hunt
Ed, you are an animal
Old 12-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Greg....for a LOT of people...HOW they hunt defines them as hunters. The end (dead deer down) wouldn't justify the means, to many, if the animal wasn't taken on their terms.

Kind of funny. I have never thought about what defines me as a hunter in over 40 years. I guess I just thought that by getting the job done with many different weapons meant that I was doing pretty good as a hunter. I guess I can't relate to the "purist" mentality, I just like to hunt.....period. The weapon doesn't matter to me.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Magic.....I don't see anyone looking down their nose at anyone else.

I said each has its place (in the forums). I wouldn't post my shotgun turkey kills in the bowhunting forum out of respect. I have nothing against gun hunters at all. I hunt with some guys who gun hunt and they're great friends. I congratulate them all on their kills. Kudos.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Dominant Buck

"Purist" isn't a dirty word.

Quick Reply: What's the difference!!??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.