Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's the difference!!?? >

What's the difference!!??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's the difference!!??

Old 12-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What's the difference!!??

The hunt Is what makes the hunt, no matter what weapon In hand. The weapon used though can and will at times have a huge effect on getting that animal even at 10 yards. Here's a few things I can't do with my recurve that I could do with my compound- Holding my bow back for a good period of time, drawing my bow well before the animal gets to the spot, drawing my bow back at sharp angles with lots of clothes on, 20 yard shots are not always In the cards. The things I high lighted are huge. The one thing I feel I have an advantage with using my recurve Is quick thinking and quick shots. Traditional bows are nothing close to a guarantee when shooting them no matter how good you are. You can hit targets all you want, shooting at a live animal Is a completely different story with all the stuff going through your head knowing your not using pins but Instead your using your Instincts or however you do It. Getting one deer Isn't going to tell you how hunting with a Traditional bow Is. Hunting many years with them will tell you how frustrating It can be at times. Greg, when you pick up a recurve again I know success will follow being your an excellent deer hunter but I can guarantee It's not going to be quite as easy as little things will get In the way that you never realized before. You'll understand what I'm talking about If you try It again. I've never taking anything away from you with all the success you've had with shooting monster bucks with your compound and I never will, your an excellent hunter!

All "slam dunks" even with trad gear huh. Maybe to some, but certainly not me.
I agree Rybo.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Site Buck Guru

I actually wait until the last second before I draw my compound bow at a deer.

I know one thing for certain.......... with a recurve I will acquire my sight much faster than with my compound and low light won't be as much of a factor as well! [8D]
Old 12-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know one thing for certain.......... with a recurve I will acquire my sight much faster than with my compound and low light won't be as much of a factor as well![8D]
True that one, but don't these pins gather light these days?
Old 12-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I know one thing for certain.......... with a recurve I will acquire my sight much faster than with my compound and low light won't be as much of a factor as well![8D]
The pins do gather light but it's hard to see the animal through the peep and around the pin. Plus I don't like real big peeps.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

The pins do gather light but it's hard to see the animal through the peep and around the pin. Plus I don't like real big peeps.
Greg, I could care less, just giving you ****!!!
Old 12-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Dominant Buck

I guess if I hunted with lots of weapons....I wouldn't think the weapon defined the hunter, either. Makes sense.

But...I have no problems withbeing labeled a"bowhunter". It DOES define me as a hunter (how I hunt). I was also looking at it a little (or a lot....don't know) more philosophically than some it seems.

Good thread, for sure.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

The problem with all this (and the reason why these threadsend up going south) is human nature. Yep the indelible need for folks to feel that their weapon of choice somehow automatically gives them a "leg up" on their fellow hunters. It usually coincides with the perceived skill level needed to utilize the particular weaponand there you have it...the prime environment for elitism to fester.
BigJ71,

While I understand your point and agree with 95% of your post, I find some difference in opinion in regard to the above paragraph.

This perceived "elitism" is a two way street and in many cases it is those who shoot a more "technically advantaged" weapon who can't face reality, and try to turn this "reality" into some type of "elitist attitude" of those who use other weapons and just state facts.

I have already stated that I am not proficient enough to use a recurve,and I have no problem in admitting that.

What is this "reality" that I am referring to?

A rifle with a scope provides more shot opportunities than one without.
An open sighted rifle provides more shot opportunities than a muzzleloader.
A muzzleloader provides more shot opportunities than a compound bow.
A compound bow provides more shot opportunities than a recurve.

If one "chooses" not to use his weapon of choice to its full potential, that is okay and that is his "choice", but it is a choice, whereas if he is hunting with a lesser weapon, his choices are more limited.

I don't care what weapon one chooses to use or how they enjoy hunting, but facts are facts.

If believing the above makes me an "elitist", then so be it, butI must not be a very good one since I can'tmove up the chain beyondthe compound.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its all about the hunt. I agree greg.

I grew up killing deer in my teens with recurves and longbows. And even deer with flint heads and osage stick bows with arrow headswrapped in sinew...Yes...I killed with flint.....

I too...carry a compound. WHY? It's fun. I enjoy shooting them as much as the trad. bows. I also like the ability to take animals out passed 30 yards with it. I won't lie. I like the added distance. With a range finder I'm confident and I just like that feeling... personally,

Last year I shot a doe with my 55 pound longbow with Zwickey heads...I said I was going to get a kill on video this year with my longbow..but I never put forth the task.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: jackflap

The problem with all this (and the reason why these threadsend up going south) is human nature. Yep the indelible need for folks to feel that their weapon of choice somehow automatically gives them a "leg up" on their fellow hunters. It usually coincides with the perceived skill level needed to utilize the particular weaponand there you have it...the prime environment for elitism to fester.
BigJ71,

While I understand your point and agree with 95% of your post, I find some difference in opinion in regard to the above paragraph.

This perceived "elitism" is a two way street and in many cases it is those who shoot a more "technically advantaged" weapon who can't face reality, and try to turn this "reality" into some type of "elitist attitude" of those who use other weapons and just state facts.

I have already stated that I am not proficient enough to use a recurve,and I have no problem in admitting that.

What is this "reality" that I am referring to?

A rifle with a scope provides more shot opportunities than one without.
An open sighted rifle provides more shot opportunities than a muzzleloader.
A muzzleloader provides more shot opportunities than a compound bow.
A compound bow provides more shot opportunities than a recurve.

If one "chooses" not to use his weapon of choice to its full potential, that is okay and that is his "choice", but it is a choice, whereas if he is hunting with a lesser weapon, his choices are more limited.

I don't care what weapon one chooses to use or how they enjoy hunting, but facts are facts.

If believing the above makes me an "elitist", then so be it, butI must not be a very good one since I can'tmove up the chain beyondthe compound.
Jackflap,

I have no problem with what you wrote and I agree (for the most part) with it. Believing your choices are limited with the lesser weapon is not being an elitist. It's looking down on those who don't use the same weapon you do and "assuming" that just because you use a certain weapon makes you, by default a better hunter or a more avid hunter is where the elitism is formed. Whether it be trad hunters belittling compound hunters or compound hunters belittling gun hunters through their actions or words. It's an attempt to prove that since their form of hunting is perceived harder, they must love it more or are better hunters because of it.....that's elitism.

I guess if I hunted with lots of weapons....I wouldn't think the weapon defined the hunter, either. Makes sense.

But...I have no problems withbeing labeled a"bowhunter". It DOES define me as a hunter (how I hunt). I was also looking at it a little (or a lot....don't know) more philosophically than some it seems.
GMMAT,

This is where my train of thought differs,I don't look at my self as a "bow hunter" even though I probably spend more time in the woods hunting with a bow in my hand than any other weapon. mainly due to the generous season here in Illinois. I do however take time during the bow season to hunt Upland Birds, Ducks, Coyotes, Fox, etc...

I just don't see my self as a bow hunter, it's way too constrictive, It's too narrow a moniker, in fact I don't like any moniker attached to me other than just plain old "hunter" because that's what I am....that's what we ALL are. The sooner we drop the "labels" the better off we all will be.

I look at it this way..... The bow hunting forum should not be where "bow hunters" go to talk about hunting rather is should be where "hunters" go to talk about hunting with a bow.

Same thing can be said for all the other forms as well. I will always considered myself a hunter......no other labels need be applied.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Dominant Buck

John....I don't hunt any other way (anymore). Thats why I'm OK with it.

Quick Reply: What's the difference!!??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.