HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's the difference!!??
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Dopler
Fork Horn

Default RE: What's the difference!!??

You're right on the killing ranges, most guys kill between 5-25 yards, anything after that becomes difficult. When I hear of guys killing at 50-60 yards and thenbragging about it, I wonder to myself how many deer has this guy wounded that he's not talking about, it's a low percentage shot, even fora pro as unlike 3D targets, real deer move. 40 yards is my limit and it has to be a perfect presentation in orderto take that shot.Mylongest was 42,and closest was 1 yard. [/align][/align]It takes much more skill to harvest a deer with a recurve over a compound even at short yardage ranges. It's like comparing a non rifledshotgun slug gun to ascopedrifle. Besides being slower and less efficient, the shot is more of a pull and release compared to a compound that you can draw undetectedand canwait motionless30 seconds orlonger until the deer is in shootingposition. We had a guy on this hunting trip a few years back and he was hooked on traditional archery. He wounded two deer and missed three deer in one season, he switch to a compound and now he's a real slayer.Not everyone can master a recurve, I wouldn't hunt with one for the simple reason that it would reduce my effective killingrange from 40 yards to 20 yards max but for guys like Shultzy who've mastered therecurve and are lethal and proficient with it, well,I've got to take my hat off to them. [/align]