Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Signs of Illinois Rut >

Signs of Illinois Rut

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Signs of Illinois Rut

Old 11-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Signs of Illinois Rut

So tonight yet again was a total bust... It was a good place in the bottom of a vally with a rye field at the top I was set up in a tree about 18foot 20 yards from a stream behind me I had good shooting lanes out to 40 yards and there where huge tracks and scrapes all over the place... but I still saw nothing... I dont know whats going to become of this rut. and how things are going to go after shotgun season.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

I haven't posted anything yet as I am in a little in denial about the rut and my chances of getting one of the three monsters I have seen. However, about 10 days ago I saw young bucks trailing pretty good and occasionally one in an all out chase. Then, I think a week ago tomorrow, I saw two wall-mounts and two small bucks circling a more than likely hot doe. A nice ~130 class buck was watching as a ~150 class buck with a split G2 chased at full speed. They covered an 80 acre spread in about 3 minutes probably.

After than day, I had only seen the small bucks chasing or trailing. And on Thursday I saw 2 nice bucks with 2 other small bucks walking in a field together. Its odd, no doubt, but I hope maybe that first hot doe was an oddball because on the day I saw the bucks in the field I had what would have been probably a 120 class buck, but had his main beam broken off after the G2. Walking behind him was the biggest deer I have seen in my life and I would put him at about a 170 inch 10 point. It had a taller rack than the deer in my avatar and was a 10-point. The deer in my avatar scored just under 150 as a 8-point with g-2's measuring 14 inches and 12 inches.

So, I definitely am hoping it ain't over yet. If the rut came and went without much sign it had to be mostly nocturnal as I have been out like 20 of the last 23 days averaging about 6+ hours a hunt including multiple sits either all day or 10 hours or more.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vogt_51

I haven't posted anything yet as I am in a little in denial about the rut and my chances of getting one of the three monsters I have seen. However, about 10 days ago I saw young bucks trailing pretty good and occasionally one in an all out chase. Then, I think a week ago tomorrow, I saw two wall-mounts and two small bucks circling a more than likely hot doe. A nice ~130 class buck was watching as a ~150 class buck with a split G2 chased at full speed. They covered an 80 acre spread in about 3 minutes probably.

After than day, I had only seen the small bucks chasing or trailing. And on Thursday I saw 2 nice bucks with 2 other small bucks walking in a field together. Its odd, no doubt, but I hope maybe that first hot doe was an oddball because on the day I saw the bucks in the field I had what would have been probably a 120 class buck, but had his main beam broken off after the G2. Walking behind him was the biggest deer I have seen in my life and I would put him at about a 170 inch 10 point. It had a taller rack than the deer in my avatar and was a 10-point. The deer in my avatar scored just under 150 as a 8-point with g-2's measuring 14 inches and 12 inches.

So, I definitely am hoping it ain't over yet. If the rut came and went without much sign it had to be mostly nocturnal as I have been out like 20 of the last 23 days averaging about 6+ hours a hunt including multiple sits either all day or 10 hours or more.
I wouldn't say it's over yet by a long shot.

Check the thread out about the deer I shot this afternoon (It's the sleepless night one), and it will sum up my day in the stand.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:47 PM
Fork Horn

I am alittle hofefull for this new spot seeing as its about 50 acres of timber and valleys and a creek running threw it, with only 3 people allowed to hunting, myself being one of them, and it appears that the timber there is going to also only see one shotgun hunter.

The other spot I like as well but I have a bad feeling its going to be all shot to Hello by the end of the blaze orange army invastion.

To night I could almost swear I head a buck grunting as he walked passed me into one of the two fingers. I was trying to hunt a staging area. I might be in denial also but I think the real rut has yet to hit and what we have been seeing was still the prerut. I really hope that its not the fact that the does did not sincrinize the estrus this year.

But I am that that you got a shot oppertunity.

I am kind of kicking myself for not taking a shot at that small six I rattled in but it was 50 yards and I did not have a lane So at the time I didnt feel good about it.

I almost wish I was one of those Rich fellas from Chicago that pay huge ammounts of cash to go down to Pike county and miss big bucks... Nothing against the rest of you people above I80, but you know the kind of person Im talking about... they ones that are the reason the Wisconson hunters call us Illinois guys FIBs.

But I did end up getting invited to hunt private ground in texas Next fall for wild boar and whitetail and see if I cant blast a few ducks while im at it with the Ducted up boys out of Texarckana.
But anyhow im getting side tracked...

I am hoping that I can get one down tomarrow or even see one.
My school has rather been suffering, I have been in the stand almost every waking moment when I should have been doing my homework...
Old 11-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Fork Horn

I hope you get him.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talked to guys who say nothing is happening-then talked to some 5 -10 miles away who say the deer are on fire.
Last friday in central Illinois I saw bucks out chasing does and a few laid up with does.
Honestly though I havent seen them out while out for my evening drive like I have in years past.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dprsdhunter

Talked to guys who say nothing is happening-then talked to some 5 -10 miles away who say the deer are on fire.
Last friday in central Illinois I saw bucks out chasing does and a few laid up with does.
Honestly though I havent seen them out while out for my evening drive like I have in years past.
It seems like that's what most people are saying. To me there hasn't been an intense portion. Instead it has been long and drawn out. However, I have seen increased movement over the last week.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

anybody see anything at all lately. I should be crawling with deer in my new spot while I give my old spot a rest I stayed untill dark tonight and I didnt see anything. But the ryhe field i walked threw on the way in was filled with tracks the size of a cellphone and deep.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Fork Horn

have anybody seen anything lately thats any good sign? seeing as in a half another its shotgun season.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260314705535

I need to move these broadheads.

Quick Reply: Signs of Illinois Rut

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.