Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Signs of Illinois Rut >

Signs of Illinois Rut

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Signs of Illinois Rut

Old 11-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Signs of Illinois Rut

I plan on sitting all day tomorrow, even though we have some high winds in the forecast. I still think this weekend and next week will be the primetime!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Fork Horn

Well I am going to head out again in the morning... it looks like we will be getting snow around 3 in the am and flurrys all day. So this weekend hopefully will work out well for use here in this thread.

I also think that the fact that even though I screwed it up, the fact that a buck cross 100yards of open field at almost a dead run is a good sight.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

We where out this afternoon, same story for us. Saw a couple smal bucks hanging together and a half dozen does all by thier lonesome.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

Alright So today was not bad, I didnt get out in the morning because we had to move cattle, So after lunch I left grandpas farm for my hunting spot and got in the stand about 1, and about 2 minuets after I was in my stand just as I was putting a dip in out of the corner of my eye I caught some movement in the bursh of the funnel to the north west of me, I saw what looked like a deer moving threw the brush along the fence 75 yards away, it went behind a brush pile and I waited for it to come out but it must have jumped the fense, So then about 2 hours later I was sitting on the stand freezing to death and saying in the wind and i see a doe running on the other side of the fense and up a hill away from me with what looked like a buck behind her. So I think we are getting damn close, I have yet to see another deer with in range... because if I do its going to be dead. So about 3:30 i get down and pack up my things, I know I should have stayed later but my entire body was numb and I could hardly feel my legs. So walking out I am passing the oaks by the haybales and some movement cartches by eye and its 3 to 4 does that I had spooked, big does! and Which makes me wish that I had hunted the stand that was over by the big scrape because had i been in that stand they would have come right past me... So Not a bad day, other than being very very cold and sleaty, and being on the wrong side of the timber. As the rut heats up and goes on in its full tilt do you think the funnel will be bissy as well?
Old 11-15-2008, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Had my best day on the stand today. This morning I had a 2.5 yr. old 8 pointer come cruising by at 30 yards. I about shot him, then after I thought about it realized he wasn't what I was looking for.

In the afternoon I hunted a new stand. At 4 I saw a doe crossing a hay field, then at 4:30 I got to watch a solid 3.5 yr. old 8 point chase a doe for about 10 minutes. The doe ended up walking out into a cut bean field in front of me, but the buck was nowhere to be found. I rattled softly and still nothing. Right at 5 I looked up and there stood a really nice one in the bean field about 120 yards out. Couldn't really tell much about him but he was past his ears.

I'm headed back out tomorrow and still have 3 full days plus 1 morning to make something happen before the blaze orange army invades. Best of luck to you all.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

no luck at all today... I hunted the stand in the funnal about 1 to 3:30, and then got down and moved over the the stand tree by the hay bales where i had seen the does last night and hunted 3:45 till dark, and I did not see anything no activity at all, the only thing I saw was a few boone and crockett squirrels and one turcky that was about 100yards away as shooting light ended... I have found a fresh set of land that I got permission to hunt on and I hope that may be having some good rut activity. I think that the bed grounds are beyond the property line and thats where the rut is happening. So I think it is starting but unfortunately its going to be a shotgun rut.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

This years "Rut" has been a total dissapointment. This is the first year ever that I have not seen at least one chase. either on stand or while driving to or from hunting. I've only seen 4 bucks even acting like they wanted to "rut", and of those 4, 3 were with the same Doe.Myself, brother and Dad have done all day sits for 3 days in a row now, and have seen a total of 9 deer between the 3 of us with 1 being a buck...That is WACK for Illinois this time of year, I really am starting to believe that here in East Central IL, the bucks are already locked up with Doe's in some far away secluded area???????
Old 11-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

This years "Rut" has been a total dissapointment. This is the first year ever that I have not seen at least one chase. either on stand or while driving to or from hunting. I've only seen 4 bucks even acting like they wanted to "rut", and of those 4, 3 were with the same Doe.Myself, brother and Dad have done all day sits for 3 days in a row now, and have seen a total of 9 deer between the 3 of us with 1 being a buck...That is WACK for Illinois this time of year, I really am starting to believe that here in East Central IL, the bucks are already locked up with Doe's in some far away secluded area???????
I too think it is going to be a bust year as far as the rut goes. However, over the last few days I have finally started seeing some bucks consistently that are out cruising or by themselves. I checked 2 trail cameras today, and alot of the does tarsals were turning black and there were several pics of smaller bucks.

It doesn't seem nearly as intense as it has been in years past thought for some reason.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

I just hope that, if it does not hit with in the next 2 days that it hits after shotgun season...

I think that hot weather we had in October is what messed things up...

I have got another spot of land to hunt now So I am going to try and get out before class tomarrow to see what I can find and then try and get back out there after class again before dark.

This has been a very frustraing season... seeing as it is my first I know I shouldnt expect too much out of it... but I cant help but feel disapointed...

I wish that I had been able to get my treestand before mid oct, when the deer where moving great because they didnt know they where being hunted yet.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

OK, I am about to head out to a fresh spot that should be loaded with deer in woodford county now. it has very little presure and I hope that anything shows up. word on the street in my area is that it will be a thanksgiving rut now. or the monday after shotgun season will be with time to be in the stand.... I dont know but I hope to even see something right now...

Quick Reply: Signs of Illinois Rut

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.