Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stalking

Old 10-26-2008, 07:01 PM

Default Stalking

I would like to learn how to stalk. I live in middle Kansas. Ft. Riley area.Does anyone have any experiance with this area and any good tips that they would like to share. I have watched a couple videos and this looks so challagening and fun.

Army Strong
Old 10-26-2008, 08:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Stalking

I can not speak for Kansas however, I do all my hunting by stalking..Up here it has been a hard year so far because of low deer populations in my area.
Bucks only regardless of what you choose to hunt with. ( bow, gun, blabkpowed, or crossbow ) So it has been quite dificult to do. However I have had some decent chances at a couple of does and missed a big spike horn. hunting from the ground can be very tricky to do to say the least. But the rewards are great.. One of the biggest things is practicing so you can guess the range better. It is different than sitting in a tree stand with your marks set up so you know what range the deer are at. Being as quite as possable with short walks and stopping to listen to everything around you that may be moving. Is very important as wellto have agood cover sent or some deer sent on a drag type thing hanging about knee high. I also like to set and wait once I get into an area that appears active. I like setting where it is fairly open against a tree with a few saplings around the base of it. At this point remaining as still as possable as deer look for movement more than anything. I hope this helps you out..
Old 10-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

Default RE: Stalking

Pretty much agree with Phil on this one. My only real scent control is waiting to put my outer layer on when i arrive at my hunting spot and keeping the wind in my face.I always look ahead and pick the next spot I'm going to stop to look and listen at. Look for atree or bushbig enough to help you break up your outline to stop at.Take small steps and always feel for sticks, etc. with your foot before placing your weight on it. Simply put, you cannot move too slow when still hunting. In my mind any deer you can successfully spot and stalk/still hunt is a trophy. This is truly hunting in my book. Just get out there and get your feet wet and learn as you go. You may not be successful as often, but every success will be gratifying.