Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stalking

Old 09-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Spike

Default Stalking

Hi,
I have seen most of the discussions about hunting deer revolve around tree stands. Does anyone stalk deer with a bow from the ground? I have stalked mulies with a rifle in WY and hunted from a stand with a bow in FL. This year is going to be my first in VA and I was planning to do it from the ground with my bow and if I fail to get a deer with a shotgun when gun season starts. This will be my first hunt by myself and I am looking for tips and pointers. I plan to do some scouting while I am killing treerats.
Jim

Old 09-18-2006, 12:47 PM

Default RE: Stalking

I do not, persay look to stalk deer with a bow and hunt out of a stand or blind. That is not to say that I do not occassionally take a walk about in a stalk-like fashion. I would stalk with a bow if I was fairly certain I had an idea of the whereabouts of a deer
Old 09-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

For tips and pointers, I would list a few:
1. Try to always hunt this method where you are quite sure deer will be at the time you are moving through. Fresh tracks crossing a road or field into the area at first light may indicate that deer have gone there to bed down.
2. Best case scenario is with the sun at your back and the wind in your face. Lesser preferred will be with the wind crossing, but NEVER at your back. Either approach from a different direction, or wait for another day.
3. Plan on moving verrrrrry slooooowly. Most of us find it almost impossible to advance ony 2-3 very careful steps and then stop for 2-3 minutes while we scan every square inch ahead of us and to the sides. But this is what it takes to get within bow range of a deer. It seems like it's a waste of time, but try moving faster, and all you will see is tails from 50 yards or more. A good thing to remember while you're moving slooooowly through an area is that the view is constantly changing; it's always the same when you're sitting in a treestand.
4. Look not only at the woods/foliage, but through it. A good pair of compact binoculars are invaluable for this. They force you to slow down while you pan a 270 degree area before moving slowly forward some more.
5. Be sure you don't make the mistake of looking for whole deer or too high off the ground. Look for parts of deer; the horizontal line of their back, four legs, the glint of an antler, the flick of an ear or tail. Remember that deer only stand a bit more than waist high to a man - don't be looking for them at eye level.

Good Luck and enjoy this fascinating and rewarding style of hunting.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

i've done it but only killed a hog doing it......i dont know about y'all but stalking is hard on my legs, i could walk 3 miles, no problem, but if i tried to stalk half that, my legs would be sore for a few days...
but i do enjoy getting down and walking...
Old 09-18-2006, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

You have a far better chance of seeing God than successfully stalking and killing a whitetail where I hunt here in Pa!
Old 09-18-2006, 09:55 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: early in

You have a far better chance of seeing God than successfully stalking and killing a whitetail where I hunt here in Pa!
What kind of bow did He have?[:-]
Old 09-19-2006, 07:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Well, I don't knock anyones methods of hunting, but the native Americans had to eat every day and they didn't have any tree stands or rifles.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:50 AM

I actually tried the stalking method last Sunday and was able to get as closeas 52 yards from a nice buck. However I was unable to walk as fast as the deer and couldn't get within my 40 yard maximum range due to the crunchy pine needles on the forrest floor. I might try it againin the future when the ground is wet. I have a hard time sitting for any length of time so I thought I would give it a shot. Be ready for a workout!

Huntnma, my legs still feel like jello two days after!My shoulder got tired from carrying my bow for three hours. My lungs were burning and I was sweating Scotch from every pore in my body! :0)
Old 09-19-2006, 09:08 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't know about the rest of you , but I've never personally been a good enough stalker to get within bow range of a whitetail , especially with dead leaves on the ground .
Old 09-20-2006, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to hunt from tree stands. Earlier in my hunting I used to still hunt lots...... rabbit hunting. When I started to hunt deer I found I still enjoyed this style of hunting. I generally wait until there is a day where the wind is blowing too hard to sit in my tree stands and then still-hunt. The wind covers most of your sound and I have even had several chances at the same deer...... even w/muzzleloader. They just can't fugure out where the danger is and so move off more slowly, last year I got w/in 25yds of a real nice 9pt buck. He never gave me a shot opportunity, we had a staring duel...... me w/one leg in the air. By the time he decided to turn so he wasn't facing me...... he was gone[:@]

Quick Reply: Stalking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.