Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Stalking?  Need help please. >

Stalking? Need help please.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stalking? Need help please.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:57 PM

Default Stalking? Need help please.

Alrighty, I'm still new to bowhunting, going on 2 years. I use a tree stand and blind and havn't had much luck. I stalked a few times and was extremly close to a doe, but spooked her. Any suggestions on stalking? Is stalking any good? I know hunting from a stand is better, but I'm going on a hunting trip to some public archery only grounds here in MO. Theres about 6,000 acres, and I never been there. I want to see how the place is like, but don't know where to start. Any suggestions? I'll be hunting in December. When do they start shedding their antlers?
Old 11-13-2006, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Stalking? Need help please.

Try to get a topo map of the area so you know what kind of terrain to expect. From there I would look for ridge lines or creek beds to hunt. Anything that might be a natural funnel. You will probably be better off in a stand but if you must stalk, well, still hunt. Walk with the wind in your face and the sun at your back if possible. Take a few slow quiet steps at a time. Stop often and stay still for several minutes before you start walking again. When you are stopped look and listen to the woods around you very carefully. Get as scent free as you can and post pics of what you kill! Good luck!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:31 PM

i do alot of stalking, wind is one of the big things. and scent a close second as stated above. if you can, go when it a bit breazy, dew on the ground, rain. anything that will make you quiet. take a few steps very slowly and look and listen. if you see a doe, there is more than likely another one around. if in rut, there will be a buck close. just w a i t. stay behind something that will keep you covered, blend in. i have never killed anything from a stand but have gotten all of mine from the ground. at first i had ALOT of butt shots. but now i am up to useing a bow and doing quite well. it's still very hard to stalk i may have killed more if i had stayed in a stand but it's just not for me.

hope this helps.
glyn
Old 11-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey glyn welcome!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:43 PM

thanks .. from a fellow texan,, im in the NE, texarkana
Old 11-13-2006, 07:09 PM

ORIGINAL: whitetaildeer87

Alrighty, I'm still new to bowhunting, going on 2 years. I use a tree stand and blind and havn't had much luck. I stalked a few times and was extremly close to a doe, but spooked her. Any suggestions on stalking? Is stalking any good? I know hunting from a stand is better, but I'm going on a hunting trip to some public archery only grounds here in MO. Theres about 6,000 acres, and I never been there. I want to see how the place is like, but don't know where to start. Any suggestions? I'll be hunting in December. When do they start shedding their antlers?
I would try stalking in high winds. I have only stalked one deer and that was with about 20 mph winds. You have to have the wind in your face and walk really slow. Where are you going hunting in MO? I also go to Missouri State and could maybe help you. Let me know.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: MOmightymite

ORIGINAL: whitetaildeer87

I would try stalking in high winds. I have only stalked one deer and that was with about 20 mph winds. You have to have the wind in your face and walk really slow. Where are you going hunting in MO? I also go to Missouri State and could maybe help you. Let me know.
Really?! What's ur name? I'm at the college right now in Strong Hall because i dont have a computer at my place. I live in Lebanon, but i think im gonna go to Callaway County to hunt the archery only land. Do ya wanna come? Im going by myself, my b/f doesn't bowhunt and he won't come. It's about 6,000+ acres, ARCHERY ONLY. Really good deer population.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:32 PM

I would advise to look in in the army survival manual, in the camouflage chapter (can be found at wilderness-survival.net) they have a good section there on stalking and camouflage.

Also, what I use is a ghillie suit, and I can get pretty close to deer with the thing on and when stalking (got about 25 feet close to a buck) (yeah, it does take me about 30 minutes to move less than a quarter mile though when stalking)

Just google how to make a ghillie suit.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:38 PM

Ok dude. Don't mess this up, a girl just asked you to go hunting with her. Bow hunting no less. You should've already responded imo
Old 11-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

No doubt! if hes not already going to meet her on campus this guy is slow in every sense of the word! LOL!!!

Quick Reply: Stalking? Need help please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.