Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stalking?

Old 11-12-2008, 08:12 AM

Default Stalking?

Do any of you guys try to sneak up on bedded down deer? I have the perfect day today to try it out, it's raining 38 degrees and the wind is perfect. Just wondering what some of your thoughts are on this, it seems more fun than being wet a freezing my balls off in a stand for a few hours.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stalking?

I've done it. It's harder than you might think. You have to stay focused on what's going on around you 100% of the time. It's fun but it can be fustrating. Good Luck
Old 11-12-2008, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

I stalked within 10 yards of a doe last weekend. Its possible. What ive found out this season is that i can sneak up easily on deer in the morning but in the evening i cant get near them. I dont know why but thats just how its been working for me.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

It might have to do with the thermal's in the morning.

ORIGINAL: tmontgo1

I stalked within 10 yards of a doe last weekend. Its possible. What ive found out this season is that i can sneak up easily on deer in the morning but in the evening i cant get near them. I dont know why but thats just how its been working for me.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, I think the wind has to be blowing pretty hard to be able to stalk close enough with a bow. The higher the wind the better as it will deafen more sounds that other wise might be heard. And the most obvious, the wind needs to be in your face.GL.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stalking is my preferred method of take. The more you do it, the better you become. I too hate sitting there in the cold. I would much rather be up and moving. Stay after it, it's fun sport.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

You have to know your area pretty well to know how & where the best possible situations are available to walk up on one. With a totally wet environment, mooching at a snails pace is easier and no need for that windy sort of day. I like to walk the ridges, look over an area for a while, back off, move down a 50 yds, go back to the ridge and spend 15 minutes looking it over. You can cover a lot of ground, and it'll take 15 minutes to walk that 50 yds.On the other hand, if it's dry, you have less of chance getting close cause I seem to step on every unseenstick and twig in the neighborhood. It's tougheven if your real careful. But, at least I have a better chance of seeing something.Your right, it beats sitting in a stand and freezing your arse off.