Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Snort wheeze

Old 09-30-2008, 09:32 AM

Default RE: Snort wheeze

Been fortunate enough to seeand hear several. I was running the camera in IL a few years ago and got good video of a decent buck doing it several times. I called in and killed a nice buck in '06 by doing it with my mouth. He was completely uninterested in my grunts, but turned and came on a string at the snort wheeze.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:37 AM

I never really thought of it before last year. Last season we had a couple bucks snort wheeze... and i called in a nice buck last year after he wouldn't respond do anything else, a snort wheeze will turn on a dominant buck.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like more people have had success with it than not. Maybe I will have to get me one and see what happens.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

Primos came out with a new call this year called the Buck Roar, it produces deep grunts and growls and has the Snort wheeze also, very good call IMO>>
Old 09-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've tried it a few times on my wife but she never responds. I must not be the dominant buck in my area.......Sorry I had to.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gutshot

I've tried it a few times on my wife but she never responds. I must not be the dominant buck in my area.......Sorry I had to.
Now thats funny I dont care who you are LMAO!!!
Old 09-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

I heard it for the first time last year and it was much quieter than I ever expected.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

a cool story to add about the snort wheeze, the buck i shot last year did it twice and it was loud and i remember watching the drool fly out of his mouth when he did it, coolest thing ever. anyways i was wacthing a doe feed on some corn when she started looking behind her, 2 bucks came out in front of me. one was real wide and had white antlers, the other (mine) tall and tight with chocolate antlers, mine walked frombehind the other buck . as soon as they seen the doe tempers were flaring. the wide rack started rubbing on a pine tree and mine started making a scrape and gettin all puffed up with his ears pinned back. then the wide rack started scraping, my buck turned around, and the whole time im thinking im about to watch 2 nice bucks fight! my buck does a snort wheeze twice and pretty much walks the other buck off about 20 yds to my right. the wide rack buck had a lil better rack but mine had a huge body and i knew he was king of his woods. my buck started walking towards the doe when i finally let the arrow fly. he had his head up and was scent checking the air. the whole hunt was a really cool expirence, with the rubbing, scraping andgrunting, etc.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never heard any noises from deer till I started bow hunting. I think, just my opinion, the deer are sojittery when gun season starts that they just don't do it much.