Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Snort wheeze

Old 09-30-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Snort wheeze

I have hunted for years and have heard buck grunt but I have never heard them " snort wheeze " I see on hunting shows they advertise calls of all sorts but it seams lately they are pushing this snort wheeze. Is this truly something that will make a buck come to you or is this just another marketing gimmick?
Old 09-30-2008, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Snort wheeze

When I am in the woods and I am trying to call in a buck if the grunts aren't working I will use the Snort Wheeze, Now keep in mind that the Snort Wheeze is a challenge, so if the buck in not thinking he is the doninent buck the snort wheeze could scare him off. I have had bucks keep walking away from grunts, and used the snort wheeze and they turned right around got all puffed up and stiff and headed right to me. but then I had scared off some also. I use the snort wheeze as a last ditch effort to try to get him to commit. A good combination is some grunts a little rattling and estrus bleats. Thats what works for me.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Never heard it in the woods.....but from what I've seen on TV,.....I woudn't waste my money on a "call" to produce this sound. I think I could do it with my mouth, pretty easily.

I use it when I get blown at when I'm going to stand in the darkness. Does it "work".....lol....who knows????[&:]
Old 09-30-2008, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few years ago I had a buck come in to my stand well before dark. It was pitch black but I knew it was a buck by the way he was walking. Then, out of nowhere, he did a snort wheeze. That was really neat to hear! The worst part was it was so dark I couldn't even pick out a shadow of him. To this day I wonder how big he was...the little ones don't do that!
Old 09-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Getting to see a big mature buck all fired up and let out a snort wheeze is a really cool thing. I drilled one at 10 yds right after he let out a good one.
In the right time, it can bring a buck in, but it can also send one heading for cover.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've heard it done,but I always thought cheap beer and hot chili the night before waswhat caused it.[]
Old 09-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

i never heard it for the longest time, then outta nowhere i heard it a bunch last year.
we had a bunch of mature bucks on the property though, so maybe they were just all hufffy with each other. haha
Old 09-30-2008, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

I've heard it done,but I always thought cheap beer and hot chili the night before waswhat caused it.[]
LMAO!!!!

Old 09-30-2008, 09:04 AM

I'm sitting in my stand one morning last year and right before first light I hear a deer chasing other deer. Then he turns, starts walking the other way and lets out a big snort wheeze. As to say, "who wants some!" He disappeared just before first light, so I never got a look at him. I'm sure he was a definite shooter.
Next day, I added another call to my arsenal.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last year, we had a nice buck my son referred to as "Booka Buck". He would regularly pass within 50 yards of our house in the very early morning or late dusk. Often when I was taking the trash out or working outside, he would stop and snortwheeze at me as if I were trespassing on HIS property.

Quick Reply: Snort wheeze

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.