Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Snort Wheeze

Old 09-24-2004, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Snort Wheeze

I was watching a hunting show this afternoon and a comercial came on talking about how wonderful the "Snort wheeze" call is. I have never heard of anyone using it to call in deer.

Is this a communication call or a mating call or an alert call...?

Has anyone been successful with it?
Old 09-24-2004, 09:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Snort Wheeze

loanstar, the snort-wheeze is a sound made by a very aggressive buck. He usually make this sound just prior to either charging or fighting with another buck.
I wouldn't imitate this sound unless you know you have the biggest buck in the area out of bowrange and want to draw him in as a last resort.
IMO it will scare the bejibbers out of an inferior buck if there is a bigger buck in the area.
This is also a good sound to imitate just prior to antler rattling.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:12 PM

If you can find a copy of realtrees monsterbucks five they actually caught a buck doing a snort wheeze its the craziest sound I ever herd. the hunt was a bowhunt when the hunter set up a buck decoy and a larger buck came in and when it spotted the decoy it went into an agressive stance and did a snort wheeze. so if you here this call in the woods it is more than likely its a dominent buck ready for a fight or trying to intemidate a smaller buck on his turff, so bronko22000 is exactly right on when to and when not to use the call.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:05 AM

I guess I am one of few that have heard this sound in the woods. When I was 18 years old. I was baw hunting a 7 year old clear-cut in Georgia. It was still dark when I slipped into my ground blind set up to hunt just one trail about 15yds away. About 3 min. after I sat down I heard a buck grunt like he was chasing a doe. Sure enough I heard a deer run past me on the trail, and behind her I heard the buck comming still grunting. As he got in front of me I grunted at him. (Keep in mind that I still can't see a thing.) He stopped a let out a snort wheeze that made me jump out of my pants. I reached in my jacket for my pistol because I just knew he was comming. He stood there for about 15-20 seconds and the ran off after the doe. This was 12 years ago and I will never forget it. Take care and good hunting.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: derslar21

I guess I am one of few that have heard this sound in the woods.
I caused a buck to snort wheeze at me. The only time I ever heard it myself. My hunting buddy was filming and we saw a pair of smaller bucks, a 6 and a 8 pt sparring just out of bow range. I started grunting to call the 8 pt in to get a good look at him.....he came stiff legged past my stand about 30 yards and I decided he wasn't what I was looking for....as he passed he stopped and made a scrape....he traveled past and I said, let's see if we can call him back...so I started grunting again....he started back on the path he passed us on and all of a sudden he stopped and snort wheezed.....his ears layed back, stiff legged and pumped up....I looked at my camera man and said, "Tell me you got that" and he said no, he'd just shut the camera off.....

As a call, I haven't ever called anything in with the few times I did try it....I simply rely on the grunt.....as a last resort I'll tickle a pair of antlers together and the only time I'd snort wheeze is if all else fails...and I rarely would snort wheeze.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:48 AM
Spike

I heard it for the first time last year . I was hunting a a small hidden beanfield here and had a 3 and 6 pnt come out together feeding , the 3 pnt came to edge in front of me made a scrape looked up the field and the hair stood up on the back of his neck and did the wheeze 3 times . I looked up where he was looking and about 100 yards away was a decent 115" +/- 8 pnt feeding . Was deffinately a odd sound but after seeing that I wouldnt say only dominate deer do it just got to be in an aggresive mood.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:52 AM

The only time i have heard the wheez is when i scare a buck or even a doe off. Maybe that is something totaly different then what you guys are talking about i dont know. But if a deer catches my scent i have heard them wheez. Never heard a buck wheez to fight though.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only time i have heard the wheez is when i scare a buck or even a doe off.
I think what you and vabownut experienced was just the wheeze - which is used to determine friend or foe when the deer (buck or doe) is scared/unsure of something/some animal.

The snort wheeze sounds distinctly different and would only be used when that big buck is looking to kick some @$$.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:13 AM

Awesome. Cant wait to hear that one. Sounds exciting!!
Old 09-25-2004, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

My brother & I have both heard this-in fact my brother wheezed back thru his nose & the buck came out of the thicket-there was also another Buck there-that is what started the whole thing.