Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Orange Tape

Old 09-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Spike

Default RE: Orange Tape

I'm pretty pretty sure it is public land.
The tape does look kind of old. So If I wanted to put my stand up right beside it I'm not breaking any man laws?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

I've put orange tape around a tree on wildlife areas before to make my blind location more visible to other hunters - bow and pheasant. If I ever went there during gun, I'd cover the whole blind in orange duck tape. Better yet, I'm never going to have to try that.

As for survey marking, we've had land surveyed and from looking at other surveyed land in our area, it's all pink plastic ribbons. I've never seen any surveyor use orange tape. But that's here.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love it when guys mark the trail to their stands by placing orange/pink tape on every other tree for 300 yards....
Old 09-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pizzitem

I'm pretty pretty sure it is public land.
The tape does look kind of old. So If I wanted to put my stand up right beside it I'm not breaking any man laws?
It's public land. I ain't taking your man card for climbing up the tree that somebody else may or may not be hunting.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:53 PM

if you are in michigan you can tell if it is public land because all the large trees are cut down.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

i also remove them when i know they dont belong in the woods....

one time my buddy filled a garbage bag....ATV riders thought they could make new trails behind their families camp....the land owner allows ATV riding...but only with permission and on the trails that he made(mostly old logging roads)

ive taken out 100s of tacks coon hunting....those suckers are easy to spot with a light at night

talk about litter....those ribbons and tacks are major litter! i dont wanna look at that garbage in the woods...

if your using it to mark boundries or something, theres alot better methods...i rather see spraypaint on trees than ribbons everywhere....painted posts pounded in the ground etc....

one night i was predator hunting behind my house...setup and was calling and shinning with the light...imediately caught an eye and got excited...till i realized it was 4ft high....STUPID TACKS!

Old 09-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Mauser:

Is this land you have permission deer hunt on?
Old 09-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

yes sir Jeff....never public land(could be something valid, but not usually so they do get a free pass from me there) but everywhere else its places i have permission to be and i always make sure the land owner wont miss the flagging tape and tacks. its litter. if you need it to find your stand, well...i'll know whose tape i took down opening morning when they are stumbling around. its an eye sore...not my property....but i havent had a land owner tell me not to remove them yet. most of the time its guys that have no business being there, let alone littering on the property. most of my land owners are older and dont hunt or make it much farther than their garage....oh...and 1 area does have a walking trail...we have permission to hunt but we leave them up....nice easy, marked trail for someone new on the drive....and it has a valid use and isnt marked every other tree...

i also know boundries pretttty well and wont take them down from there either..just incase they are vaild...i spend more hours in the woods around here than most anyone...if im not deer hunting im scouting...or coon hunting..or turkey hunting...or groundhog hunting etc etc etc....im out there ALOT...

im not a idiot that walks around doing it to screw other guys or ruin their hunts or take down boundry markers or anything of that nature...if you cant find your way into your stand, thats still no right to litter. unless you own the land...but in every instance, the landowner didnt want them and never knew they were there...."id be happy to pick up all that trash for you"
Old 09-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

most of the modern day flagging tapes are soy or ceulose based products and are designed to be biodegradable and digestable. while it IS VERY unpleasing to the eye and an annoyance, some of it does have meaning and several colors could have been used if the property was surveyed (property lines are generally pink, then a multitude of colors for contour lines, flood plain, flood way, suitable soils for building/perk, internal lot lines, etc)....but since it is public land, probably some sort of marking for another hunter as mentioned earlier.