Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Does anyone else use tape on the end of there ML ? >

Does anyone else use tape on the end of there ML ?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Does anyone else use tape on the end of there ML ?

Old 01-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Does anyone else use tape on the end of there ML ?

I was juse reading the forum (cva dangerous?) and I was thinking if some of these guy's did what I do than (MABEY) they would'nt have a mishap with there ML Barrel's. It was a snowy day years back when I was ML hunting and I leaned my ML in the crotch of a tree so I could get something out of my fanny pack, when some snow fell off the tree and right into my ML Barrel. It packed in there pretty good and I could'nt get it all out so I had to go home and let the gun thaw untill it was out. From that day on I now cut a piece of round (Masking Tape) and put it over the end of My ML and never had a problem since. It stays on in the rain and snow and you can shoot with out any accuracy problems. And you can always check the end of your barrel to make sure it's there and nothing has penetrated the bore, hence, no more obstructed barrels. I always do this after loading my ML and it keeps your bore dry and clean. I just cut a piece of masking tape, clean the end of the muzzle with alcohol or solvent, and then apply it and it stays there. Some of my friends even use electrical tape with the same results. I have even used the (price markers) that you would use on items for like yard sales, there already on a pice of paper that you just peel off and apply, and I carry a few to use in the field in case I shoot and have to reload. I know you would'nt do this for target practice, but when your out hunting it sure does help and give you a piece of mind that there's nothing in your muzzle execpt your powder and sabot. Just thought I'd share this with you and see if anyone else does this. Happy and Safe Shooting! Ron
Old 01-24-2009, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Does anyone else use tape on the end of there ML ?

That is a good trick. I remember seeing it on the Outdoor channel one day. I have used this trick and have had good results.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Breechplug

I was juse reading the forum (cva dangerous?) and I was thinking if some of these guy's did what I do than (MABEY) they would'nt have a mishap with there ML Barrel's. It was a snowy day years back when I was ML hunting and I leaned my ML in the crotch of a tree so I could get something out of my fanny pack, when some snow fell off the tree and right into my ML Barrel. It packed in there pretty good and I could'nt get it all out so I had to go home and let the gun thaw untill it was out. From that day on I now cut a piece of round (Masking Tape) and put it over the end of My ML and never had a problem since. It stays on in the rain and snow and you can shoot with out any accuracy problems. And you can always check the end of your barrel to make sure it's there and nothing has penetrated the bore, hence, no more obstructed barrels. I always do this after loading my ML and it keeps your bore dry and clean. I just cut a piece of masking tape, clean the end of the muzzle with alcohol or solvent, and then apply it and it stays there. Some of my friends even use electrical tape with the same results. I have even used the (price markers) that you would use on items for like yard sales, there already on a pice of paper that you just peel off and apply, and I carry a few to use in the field in case I shoot and have to reload. I know you would'nt do this for target practice, but when your out hunting it sure does help and give you a piece of mind that there's nothing in your muzzle execpt your powder and sabot. Just thought I'd share this with you and see if anyone else does this. Happy and Safe Shooting! Ron
go to DOLLAR STORE and buy a pak of little ballons, not real bigones for a buck.

they come in 5 colors.

put 1 over your muzz.

easy on,easy off and it dont take finish off your bluing.

i use RED ONES,i like red
Old 01-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

if they call for snow or rain i allway's use the small condoms on my muzzleloader ,sold by KNIGHT only cost $2 for 5 good insurance ..safety first !!!!!
Old 01-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have tried a number of things including accuracy tests to see if it messed up the POI or grouping.
A lot of things work reasonably well including tape but I ended up using either finger cots or saran wrap and a rubber band. Lee
Old 01-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

Balloons are 25 for a buck at family dollar pretty colors too

Charlie
Old 01-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Typical Buck

Lee- I use a 1" wide strip os Saran Wrap over the nipple on a percussion rifle. Just wrap around the stock a time or 2. Works for me.

Charlie
Old 01-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

We have rubber gloves at work by the boxes. I just take some with, and I cut the finger off of the glove and stick that oveer the end of the barrrel.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Heinz57 - you sure that's the only reason you use the small condoms?

Breechplug, those stickers are a good idea. I always carry a roll of electrical tape in my bag with may traditionals. With my inline I have a wrap or two around my scope. Iusually put a piece of tape over my muzzle after loading.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Chasam60
I do some thing like that, I use a small amout of water proof grease on the threads of the nipple and keep a peice of saran wrap over the nipple. I put the cap on right over the top of the saran wrap , took the bigest buck I ever got that way. Lee

Quick Reply: Does anyone else use tape on the end of there ML ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.