Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Do you tape your gun?

Old 03-25-2005, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default Do you tape your gun?

I am thinking about taping my gun with the bow/gun tape from Hunter Specialties for better concealment for turkey season. Has anyone tried using it, did it mess up the gun? Any advice? Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-25-2005, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you tape your gun?

it would seem to be a hassle for me. I use brown els paint. its really durable and helps rust proof your gun too. you can go to www. brownels.com, they have 3 different colors in alumi-hyde paint for your gun of choice!! have fun
Old 03-25-2005, 01:33 PM

I have heard good and bad about using tape. I elected to use camo duct tape for my first time. I am going to give it a couple of coats of paste wax to keep out moisture. If it is a real hastle to get the tape off I will probably end up getting it dipped once I save enough money.

Spatrat
Old 03-25-2005, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

Any idea how many gobblers have been killed over the years with shotguns that aren't covered in camo, and better yet, shooting 2 3/4 inch shells? Not to mention, by old time hunters not wearing camo clothing. I'd guess more than those killed since camo shotguns started being produced. I think camo has become quite the fashion statement over the years. I'm still carrying a non-camo 870 and still shooting an occasional bird.

With that said....I definitely plan to buy an 870 supermag in full camo and start shooting 3 1/2 inch shells as soon as I can work it near the top of my extensive wish list!
Old 03-25-2005, 06:25 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Moose is right...lots of birds killed with non-camoed guns.......however it really does help......on pressured birds anything out of regular makes them skittish....a glint or shine at the wrong time can make a difference...

CAMO tape - I did - won't ever do it again...

Now I use a 11-87 SP...has a matte barrel - no camo what so ever.....

JW
Old 03-25-2005, 11:08 PM

i've used the HS tape - worked fine for me, came off easy. left very little residue, and what was left came off easy. but like it was mentioned, it's certainly not necessary.