Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ya'll can keep the speed....I'm goin heavy. >

Ya'll can keep the speed....I'm goin heavy.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ya'll can keep the speed....I'm goin heavy.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:25 AM

Default RE: Ya'll can keep the speed....I'm goin heavy.

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Let me clue you to an old trick that I doubt many people know about in these days of light arrows, fast bows and flat trajectories. When you're lining up a 30+ yard shot on an animal and don't know if you're going to clear the limb out there in front of you, take a quick peek at your 20 pin. If the pin is under the obstruction, you're good to go.

That 20 pin will tell you pretty much what the high point of your trajectory is at the distance you're shooting.
Wow, now that right there is cool! I never knew that either, that's interesting. Thanks Arthur.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:27 AM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

ORIGINAL: txmarshmonkey

I am a bit of a simpleton,I need pictures.[8D]
I thought you might have been headed in that direction but I can never tell with you.

3/30=.1x100=10%

TFOX, please correct if I'm misled,but isn't the "length of the arrow" measured without the broadhead and insert. I was under the impression that it was measured from the bottom of the knock groove to the end of the arrow, not including the insert or head.

If your diagram is correct then I need to recalculate my FOC.
You are correct for figuring spine and such in archery.In a mathematical equation the entire length should be used.Some say do it the way the picture shows and some do to the end of the shaft,I measure to the end of the shaft personally but the difference is so small it really doesn't matter.
Assuming the BH + insert adds 1.5 inches to the length of the arrow in this illustration. If we calculated FOC using the other method, would this be accurate?
4.5/28.5 = .157x100 = 15.7% FOC

Sorry mobow for hijacking you thread a little, just trying to figure things out.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Let me clue you to an old trick that I doubt many people know about in these days of light arrows, fast bows and flat trajectories. When you're lining up a 30+ yard shot on an animal and don't know if you're going to clear the limb out there in front of you, take a quick peek at your 20 pin. If the pin is under the obstruction, you're good to go.

That 20 pin will tell you pretty much what the high point of your trajectory is at the distance you're shooting.
Been there and done that.I actually shot a deer once that had limbs in front of the vitals but I could still see them,the key was the limbs were halfway to the animal.The arrow just cleared the branches and smoked the deer.I literally had my pin on the limbs.[8D]
Old 07-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am a bit of a simpleton,I need pictures.[8D]
I thought you might have been headed in that direction but I can never tell with you.

3/30=.1x100=10%

TFOX, please correct if I'm misled,but isn't the "length of the arrow" measured without the broadhead and insert. I was under the impression that it was measured from the bottom of the knock groove to the end of the arrow, not including the insert or head.

If your diagram is correct then I need to recalculate my FOC.
You are correct for figuring spine and such in archery.In a mathematical equation the entire length should be used.Some say do it the way the picture shows and some do to the end of the shaft,I measure to the end of the shaft personally but the difference is so small it really doesn't matter.
Assuming the BH + insert adds 1.5 inches to the length of the arrow in this illustration. If we calculated FOC using the other method, would this be accurate?
4.5/28.5 = .157x100 = 15.7% FOC

Sorry mobow for hijacking you thread a little, just trying to figure things out.

NO,because the balance point will not change by the full 1 1/2".It would probably only change by about a 1/4".