Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting a bordering highfence ? >

Hunting a bordering highfence ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting a bordering highfence ?

Old 07-18-2008, 02:04 PM

Default Hunting a bordering highfence ?

I just recently aquired a hunting lease on a portion of it a highfence borders it ! My question is would that fenceline be a good place to catch bucks walking the fence during the rut ?
Old 07-18-2008, 02:25 PM

Default RE: Hunting a bordering highfence ?

Im willing to bet that would be a good spot. chances are they would funnel thru there. check it out and see what happens
Old 07-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also, look for a spot in the fence where they have been crossing (a hole in the fence or dug out under it) If you find that,I would definately hunt it.....
Old 07-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Typical Buck

Think of it as one half of a funnel. The neighboring rranch is high fenced. Their is a place where the property line makes a 90 degree turn. It makes a great pinch point.

-john
Old 07-18-2008, 03:13 PM

No chance on the hole in the fence or under ! This guy has spent like $10,000 a piece for the deer he has in the fence and checks it daily ! His place is like 160 acres and borders some of my lease property ! I just figured during the rut bucks would be traveling the fence looking for does in estrus that are in the fence !
Old 07-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

While hunting late archery near Bald Eagle, Pa. We found where a free ranging buck had been fighting with a buck within a high fence operation. there were half circles on both sides of the fence cleared of leaves and you could see slide marks.Ialso know of a guy who's neighbor has 5-10 deer ina fence, one of his best spots is near that fence when one of the doe's goes into heat. Almost like having a hot doe tied to the tree beside you.

Zach
Old 07-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OKIEBOWHNTR

No chance on the hole in the fence or under ! This guy has spent like $10,000 a piece for the deer he has in the fence and checks it daily ! His place is like 160 acres and borders some of my lease property ! I just figured during the rut bucks would be traveling the fence looking for does in estrus that are in the fence !
Sorry Okie, the places that I have hunted around high fence were thousands of acres and the fences were old....All it takes is one pig to root under the fence and then it is on.....On the ranch I was hunting they didn't fix the one spot I am talking about for like 3 years....It was good hunting for those three years....
Old 07-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I just figured during the rut bucks would be traveling the fence looking for does in estrus that are in the fence !
That's exactly what I was thining. If he has a bunch of does in there in only 160 acres that's gonna be one heck of an attractant.