Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..?? >

Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

Old 12-21-2006, 07:16 PM

Default Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

OK...so we know a heavier arrow carries with it more KE and momentum than a lighter arrow. We also know a lighter arrow carries w/ it more speed.

I know in days past when mostly traditional equipment was being used, and even in the early days of the compound that heavier arrows were the way to go. The weight was needed for penetration. Times have changed, however. Todays compounds are producing better than 100% KE and are as efficient as ever.

I personally no longer see the need to worry about heavy arrows and KE....I believe in MOST cases a lighter arrow shooting 300+ fps will carry enough KE to do the job. I vote for a lighter, faster arrow.

What are your thoughts?
Old 12-21-2006, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

Not a bad thought Don. Personally I'll go with a mid-weight set-up, which is around 415gr for me. Granted, a light arrow will be enough to do the trick. But where I get slightly concerned is on say... a large pig at 45-50 yards. The heavier arrow will carry much moe of it's KE at that distance. Also my bow was shootingthe arrow at 290fps whic is plenty fast for me. Also, the heavier arrow may be slightly quieter than an arrow that is 5gr/lb. I feel that I will benefit morefrom the heavier arrow than a few extra fps. But then again... it all comes down to shot placement, regardless of what you are shooting.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually I disagree.

A bow maxed out has a certain KE regardless of arrow make up to a point however a heavier arrow carrys more momentum.

When you go heavier on an arrow, obviously you gain weight, you loose speed, they offset each other in KE unless extremes are taken.

When you go lighter in weight, you gain speed again offsetting each other and maintaining the same KE unless extremes are taken.

Now we're talking 1 or 2 ft lbs. ...

I don't know of any bow today producing 100% KE....are you refering to 100 ft lbs?

My Allegiance is shooting all but 80 ftlbs of KE, it's tough getting more without longer draw lengths. I know some are pushing more.....
Old 12-21-2006, 07:37 PM
Dominant Buck

OH boy, you must have had a fight with the little woman and want to fight. That said, the problem with your 300 fps deal is, most of us little short armed suckers will never see a 300 fps arrow. Admittedly probably we don't try.... and why???? Well first off the short arms. SEcondly, the short arms. I shoot a 314 fps bow, but when I get down to my SHORT ARMS and my heritage of shooting 125 grain fixed heads I'm just never going to see it. Add my string loop, leeches, heavy vanes and all that, I have my 314 fps bow dumbed down to about 260. So be it. That heavy little sucker kills and I like it in the wind, rain, snow or shine. Some are speed freaks, some are not.... it all works if you can shoot. Me, I'm pushing 445 grains with one bow and 525 with my backup. One at 67 foot pounds and one at 74
Old 12-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

I agree mobow...another vote for a lighter, faster arrow
Old 12-21-2006, 07:39 PM

Now we're talking 1 or 2 ft lbs. ...
Exactly. Which is why I am changing to lighter, faster arrows. If I can get speeds in the 310-315 range and carry close to the same KE as I get now in the 286 range, I'm gonna do it.

I don't know of any bow today producing 100% KE....are you refering to 100 ft lbs?
No, sir. Take my set up for instance. I pull only 67 pounds, but I am producing 73 pounds of KE....that's something like.....113% I think....

Old 12-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

youll lose quiteness for speed me personally i like the heavier arrows
Old 12-21-2006, 07:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Oneshot7

youll lose quiteness for speed me personally i like the heavier arrows
Yeah, but again....with today's bows made as quiet as they are, that gain is minimal. I shot one of my ACC's that checks in at 425 gr. and 286 fps, then I shot a CX Maxima that weighed 380 gr. and 308 fps......I couldn't hear the difference. I'm sure a decible meter would detect it, but not my ears.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

No, sir. Take my set up for instance. I pull only 67 pounds, but I am producing 73 pounds of KE....that's something like.....113% I think....
Ah, I see....at 70 lbs I'm producing 80 ft lbs.... but you see, I cannot tell you the last time my arrow passed completely through an animal. I have entrance and exit holes but not arrow sticking behind the animal. Actually, it was before my ACC's....they weigh in at 381 including the 100 grain head. A heavier arrow will slow my bow but my KE will remain the same however the heavier arrow will have better penetration. I've killed 5 bucks with these arrows out of two different bows, no complete pass throughs, again exit wounds but the arrow remained in the animal.

There is a good reason for heavier arrows.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Another reason I go a little heavier instead of lightning fast, sound and wear and tear on the equipment. The heavier the quieter and the less strain on the bow.

Quick Reply: Heavy arrow, more KE....light arrow, more speed..??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.