Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Hunting a heavy barrel/heavy rifle >

Hunting a heavy barrel/heavy rifle

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting a heavy barrel/heavy rifle

Old 12-11-2002, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting a heavy barrel/heavy rifle

Anyone use target rifles or other genuinely heavy rifles for deer hunting?? Do you ever notice an increased rate of fatigue because of the extra weight?? I hunt a Ruger M77 Standard right now, something like right around 8-8.5# with my glass and loaded, but I'm planning to buy a tactical "sniper rifle" (a Remington 700 PSS to be exact), and it's pretty heavy, and possibly buy another M-1 garand/M-1D soon, just wondering if anyone's really noticed that they get tired sooner with their heavy rifles??

Screw the 10 ring, keep them in the zero!!!
Old 12-11-2002, 06:02 PM

Default RE: Hunting a heavy barrel/heavy rifle

Well I would guess I would have to say that it depends one what type of hunting you do most Nomercy. I have some pretty heavy rifles (actually prefer them), but most of my walking time is done with my rifle slung on my shoulder. Only time I hand carry it is when that is the safest way to be. Otherwise it stays shouldered until I plan to fire it, usually that happens from the prone possition when possible. So I am not very bothered by the extra weight. But if you mostly "drive" hunt and will have your rifle in your hands most of the time, a heavy rifle might just not be for you (in those situations).

One Shot, One Kill
Hunting is the one sport where, if you are playing right, the other team doesn't even know you're playing.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nomercy DeerSniper asked the magic question, what type of hunting are you doing? If you are stalking or hunting brushy areas where you need a rifle that comes to your shoulder quick for a shot or that you will be carrying all day, you want a light rifle. If you hunt from a stand, or will be taking long shots, a heavier rifle will do you better, they are more stable and as a result tend to shoot straighter.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 12-12-2002, 08:55 AM

I carry a 26 inch heavy varmit barrel in 22-250 for coyote hunting all winter. I never have a problem and have been doing it for 10 years. I also carry my rifle over my shoulder whenever possible. Just seems to me that the extra weight makes for a steadier rifle.

" Anyone can be a father, but it takes a real man to be a Dad"
Old 12-12-2002, 09:16 AM

Nomery, I hunted WI this year with my Weatherby Accumark 270 WBY Mag. It has a leupold LPS on top and the thing is a tank! Half the hunting camp looked at me like I was nuts. I figure once I get to my tree, I got her made. I feel like a western pack mule but all in all it's not too bad if you stand or still hunt. One day I mounted a harris bi-pod on it and hunted on top of a ridge looking down. As long as you set up with the correct wind and spot your shooting lanes, bipod hunting can be fun too! However, if your driving fields, I'd walk with a lighter gun. I used my lighter shotgun.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guess I just forgot to mention how I hunt. I'm a toss up, I usually spend all of my mornings stand hunting, then leave my stand and either drive or still/stalk hunt until the evenings, when I go back to the stand. It would be possible to switch guns between hunts, as I usually go back to my truck and drive to a new location to stalk, and I have two other high powered and glassed rifles that are lightweight, but switching just doesn't sound like fun.

My biggest question is one of experience though, it seems like in theory that a guy would notice the extra pounds, but really, my Ruger is already 8#, so am I really going to notice the extra 2-4#?? Or is it just one of those "it's all in your head" things?

Screw the 10 ring, keep them in the zero!!!
Old 12-12-2002, 01:55 PM

I do not notice the difference in my heavy barrel vs my light guns. Maybe it is a head thing because the gun I like best is the heavy barrel. (12.5 pounds by the way)

It might depend on your size and build as well, I guess.

" Anyone can be a father, but it takes a real man to be a Dad"
Old 12-12-2002, 03:44 PM

of course i think the best option is 2 guns. take you heavy rifle with you to the stand, then when you go for the deer stalking at midday leave the rifle and take the 7.5" barreled sixgun off your hip and go after the deer that way. of course here in indiana im stuck with the sixgunall the time.

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 12-12-2002, 10:00 PM

What caliber rifle? If you are talking a magnum caliber, .300 ultra or 7mm ultra, you will be glad your gun is heavy. Especially when sighting in or practicing. There have been many times I wish my .300 ultra was heavier.