Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ya'll can keep the speed....I'm goin heavy. >

Ya'll can keep the speed....I'm goin heavy.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ya'll can keep the speed....I'm goin heavy.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ya'll can keep the speed....I'm goin heavy.

ORIGINAL: mobow

ORIGINAL: buckeye

ORIGINAL: bloodcrick

c'mon Don where are the pics?? I know how you like to expirement with colors sounds like a killer set up bud
This is just the flavor of the month.... [8D]As often as he changes his mind he and quicksilver will be sharing arrows next summer!
That's just how I roll Dawg. It's just how I roll. Where's the love man, where's the love? Live w/ 3 girls, and you'll change your mind alot too.

Blood, you start the pic thread, and I'll post 'em up tonight.
I do live with 2 girls... Not that far off [8D]
Old 07-17-2008, 01:06 PM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I am a bit of a simpleton,I need pictures.[8D]
I thought you might have been headed in that direction but I can never tell with you.

3/30=.1x100=10%

TFOX, please correct if I'm misled,but isn't the "length of the arrow" measured without the broadhead and insert. I was under the impression that it was measured from the bottom of the knock groove to the end of the arrow, not including the insert or head.

If your diagram is correct then I need to recalculate my FOC.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:44 PM

Thats 6.58 grains per lb of draw........

My light setup is 8.98
Old 07-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Forget speed... My arrows are 475 sizzling down range at about 258. LOL My
FOC is 14.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

TFOX, please correct if I'm misled, but isn't the "length of the arrow" measured without the broadhead and insert. I was under the impression that it was measured from the bottom of the knock groove to the end of the arrow, not including the insert or head.
Two different schools of thought. One way includes the head, the other way only goes to the insert. Doesn't much matter, IMO. Choose the method you like and be happy.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

Yall can keep the WeightI like the smaller margin of error. So many things play into factor when taking a shot at a live animal, I'll take every little bit of help i can get. Plus the flatter trajectory and bragging rights that my bow is faster than yours[:-].

Besides with my stubby arms with that set-up I'd be lucky to get 240fps.lol[&:]
Smaller margin of error will not really come into play in most hunting setups,because if you were to take a poll most deer were killed within 30yrd and thats not a huge margin of error for todays bows with any weight hunting arrow,JMO.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

Mine are 490grs total weight tipped with 125 muzzy I get 260 fps on 64lds and 29" dl,with blazers,and they do fly great.The thing about the 260fps is that I'm old enough to remember when we thought that anyone who claimed they were shooting that fast they had to be full of it.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mobow

I don't know why I like to stir this pot so much, but I do.

I built my hunting arrows tonight, and I am impressed. I've got a 480 grain arrow flying 281 FPS, w/ a 22% FOC. I have never in my life seen an arrow fly so beautifully from a bow. I've been a huge fan of the blazers, and a huge fan of the light/fast carbon arrow. But after shooting these for a while tonight......Heck with it. Feathers and heavy arrows all the way.
The High FOC arrows are pretty awesome, Huh??

I would consider 281fps pretty fast

My setup is kickin out 70+# KE at 28" draw and only 60# peak weight!

Dan
Old 07-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: txmarshmonkey

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I am a bit of a simpleton,I need pictures.[8D]
I thought you might have been headed in that direction but I can never tell with you.

3/30=.1x100=10%

TFOX, please correct if I'm misled,but isn't the "length of the arrow" measured without the broadhead and insert. I was under the impression that it was measured from the bottom of the knock groove to the end of the arrow, not including the insert or head.

If your diagram is correct then I need to recalculate my FOC.
You are correct for figuring spine and such in archery.In a mathematical equation the entire length should be used.Some say do it the way the picture shows and some do to the end of the shaft,I measure to the end of the shaft personally but the difference is so small it really doesn't matter.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since when is a 480 gr arrow "Heavy"? LOL

Remember "back in the day" when most of us didn't have a clue what our 2315s with 125gr broadheads weighed.

If you wanna feel heavy (and some guys will tell you THESE don't even qualify as heavy) you should heft one of my 625gr recurve arrows. [:-] Feels like if you dropped it with it's 220gr Muzzy Phantom that it would stick you to the floor.

Quick Reply: Ya'll can keep the speed....I'm goin heavy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.