Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day... >

Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day...

Old 06-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Killing deer in the middle of the day...

Thanks, MM....I wasn't trying to be confrontational....just stating an opinion.

I will try to make it short, bucks spend10 months avoiding does, there patterns andhabits are opiset...The longer they live the more they change.....Thelittle 3 1/2 year olds are still in transition, there half way there. A truly mature buck relies and lives byhis noes....He doesn't wast hes time checking an area until all thedoes havemoved through and bedded down. Theres allot more to this but have Iproblems putting it down.
It took me reading that 2X to fully digest it. I agree with Scott....that is a great post. It makes a lot of sense.

Food for thought........and appreciated.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day...

How many times during PEAK RUT have you been driving away after a morning hunt to see deer chasing across a wide open field?

Talk about a sore subject.... This happened to me quite a few times when I first started chasing mature bucks...

Heck, one time years ago my brother and I met at the truck at 10, it was the first couple days of November..... As we stood undressing next to the truck to go get some luncha good buck busted a doe out of the woods across the road and they ran within 40 yards of where we were standing at the truck. They went right up the logging road my brother was hunting on [:-]

Even with that happeningthen I didn't learn from the encounter... At the time I considered it a fluke... It took a few times before I opened my eyes to this....
Old 06-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: _Dan

The last 4 bucks I killed up here were at 11:00, 11:30, 12:15 and 2:30.

All of them were killed during the peak movement time, according to the game tables. These, were big woods deer that don't see a lot of human activity and are more in their natural state.
Dang you Dan, Now you have me thinking about my hunting spot. I remember one morning that I went in at first light and saw a deer's tail flagging me. I climbed the tree, turned around and that buck was still there watching me pull up my gear!
Old 06-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Not really Jeff......its totally different up here than in 95% of the rest of North America. There are a lot of times I can't get out hunting right away in the morning, but because the games tables show peak movement in the middle of the day, I don't sweat it.

I can tell you that if the rest of NA didn't receive the pressureit does, buck to doe ratios were closer and the over all herd dynamics were better a lot more people would see the same results I have.

I must also mention, that this isn't just me. A lot of the guys that hunt with me and my family have pretty much the same story to tell.
I respect the heck out of your honesty, Dan. You know and recognize you hunt a different type animal than we do......because of a number of reasons.

Still....success is success. Kudos.

Have a great weekend.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If you really do some investigating, you'll find that most people have harvested there best bucks between 10am and 2pm.
Huh?

Sounds like a good magazine article theory.....but I doubt it's true in real-life.

I've hunted all day a few times, during the rut. I just don't see the activity I see in other times of the day. Call me lazy, uncommitted, etc........I just don't have the patience to sit through what "I" feel is an unproductive time of day "for my woods". I've seen good bucks (relative) here after 11:00.....but that's usually when I'm thinking of climbing down. You also have to remember that a buck don't have to travel far or look real hard to find a doe in my woods.

In reality.....I'm sure there are some great bucks killed during the middle of the day. I also think it's "a" way for some hunters to perch themselves on the "I am extremely dedicated and you just don't want it, enough" perch. I actually don't know anyone who's killed one in the middle of the day, here.
I will try to make it short, bucks spend10 months avoiding does, there patterns andhabits are opiset...The longer they live the more they change.....Thelittle 3 1/2 year olds are still in transition, there half way there. A truly mature buck relies and lives byhis noes....He doesn't wast hes time checking an area until all thedoes havemoved through and bedded down. Theres allot more to this but have Iproblems putting it down.
I apologize for often using Ablerta as an example, but I do this because of the fact that the region I hunt has almost NO hunting pressure. These deer are going about their normal daily routine undisturbed, andit serves as a great barometerof their true behavior.
There are not a lot of deer up there, but there's about a2-1 doe to buck ratio.In fact the first year I hunted there I didn't see a SINGLE deer in my first two full days of hunting! Most guys would have said "this place is a joke"!! I knew better, and just kept my positive attitude.Thethird day I saw three good bucks ( no shot opps) by 10:00AM. I saw about ten more bucks by the timemy week was up. This all day thing is nothing more than a mind game, some can play it , some can't/won't. There isn't really a grey area here folks.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:50 AM

Not really Jeff......its totally different up here than in 95% of the rest of North America. There are a lot of times I can't get out hunting right away in the morning, but because the games tables show peak movement in the middle of the day, I don't sweat it.

I can tell you that if the rest of NA didn't receive the pressureit does, buck to doe ratios were closer and the over all herd dynamics were better a lot more people would see the same results I have.

I must also mention, that this isn't just me. A lot of the guys that hunt with me and my family have pretty much the same story to tell.
I respect the heck out of your honesty, Dan. You know and recognize you hunt a different type animal than we do......because of a number of reasons.

Still....success is success. Kudos.

Have a great weekend.
It proves that it is all about location.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Schultzy....my post wasn't pointed at anyone. Please don't take this the wrong way (I mean this, sincrerely)....but I'm far beyond caring how people interpret my posts.

I honestly feel it's "a" way for some hunters to do exactly what I described. In other words.....I think there's a lot more people preaching the practice than actually doing it. If it doesn't apply to you (not you, personally, but in general) it doesn't.

You are not going to see a lot of activity during the mid day. You are looking for 1 good deer. Location of your stand is critical for mid day success. Sitting on or near a food source is not going to produce. Place yourself as Greg h suggested and you will have a better chance.

All day sits are tough. especially when you are not seeing deer. But they can produce.
I have seen big bucks moving during the middle of the day too many times to believe it is a fluke. I have seen them cross 1/4 mile of wide open field in the middle of the day in highly pressured areas.
Maybe try going out later in the morning a few times and sitting until early afternoon. Success breeds success. If you see a few it may give you the confidence to hunt that time period more often.
That's good stuff MM. Makes sense. Like I said....I've tried it, here, and to be honest.....I've never seen a deer between noon and 2:00....and I hunt the areas Greg describes a LOT (It's where I've killed my best 2 bucks).

Dan....that success demands respect. Kudos to you.
GMMAT that could be. Its beyond me why someone would BS another but It is the internet and people tend to puff up there chest on here once in a while.

Look at it this way GMMAT, deer in general do and will get up off there beds to get a drink of water or a small snack to eat in that noon time area. All it takes is one hot doe to do this and the chase is on in the mid day hours.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

edited
Old 06-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

This all day thing is nothing more than a mind game, some can play it , some can't/won't. There isn't really a grey area here folks.
Great post Early!!
Old 06-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I would just like to make an observation.

We are some nerdy MFer's gents. It's Sunday morning and all we have is HNI and each other. It brings a tear to my eye. I think we are ready for the season.
At least you are all on the couch with some TV. I am stuck at work until 8PM tonight[:-]

Quick Reply: Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.