HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day...
Old 06-01-2008, 10:46 AM
early in
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day...

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If you really do some investigating, you'll find that most people have harvested there best bucks between 10am and 2pm.
Huh?

Sounds like a good magazine article theory.....but I doubt it's true in real-life.

I've hunted all day a few times, during the rut. I just don't see the activity I see in other times of the day. Call me lazy, uncommitted, etc........I just don't have the patience to sit through what "I" feel is an unproductive time of day "for my woods". I've seen good bucks (relative) here after 11:00.....but that's usually when I'm thinking of climbing down. You also have to remember that a buck don't have to travel far or look real hard to find a doe in my woods.

In reality.....I'm sure there are some great bucks killed during the middle of the day. I also think it's "a" way for some hunters to perch themselves on the "I am extremely dedicated and you just don't want it, enough" perch. I actually don't know anyone who's killed one in the middle of the day, here.
I will try to make it short, bucks spend10 months avoiding does, there patterns andhabits are opiset...The longer they live the more they change.....Thelittle 3 1/2 year olds are still in transition, there half way there. A truly mature buck relies and lives byhis noes....He doesn't wast hes time checking an area until all thedoes havemoved through and bedded down. Theres allot more to this but have Iproblems putting it down.
I apologize for often using Ablerta as an example, but I do this because of the fact that the region I hunt has almost NO hunting pressure. These deer are going about their normal daily routine undisturbed, andit serves as a great barometerof their true behavior.
There are not a lot of deer up there, but there's about a2-1 doe to buck ratio.In fact the first year I hunted there I didn't see a SINGLE deer in my first two full days of hunting! Most guys would have said "this place is a joke"!! I knew better, and just kept my positive attitude.Thethird day I saw three good bucks ( no shot opps) by 10:00AM. I saw about ten more bucks by the timemy week was up. This all day thing is nothing more than a mind game, some can play it , some can't/won't. There isn't really a grey area here folks.