Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day... >

Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day...

Old 06-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day...

I hardly ever hunt all day unless Im out of state or where I think it would be hurting a spot to take a break during the day, Im more of a sign reader. If its a spot they use in the mornings coming from feeding areas going to bedding areas I hunt there in the mornings. If their using a differnt trail in the evenings I use it.
The buck in my avatar was cleaning out a scrape between the time I would leave my stand around 10:30 am and the time I would get back around 3:30 pm. So I went in at 10:00, and he died around 1:30 that afternoon. I try and let them tell me when to hunt.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

I hardly ever hunt all day unless Im out of state or where I think it would be hurting a spot to take a break during the day, Im more of a sign reader. If its a spot they use in the mornings coming from feeding areas going to bedding areas I hunt there in the mornings. If their using a differnt trail in the evenings I use it.
The buck in my avatar was cleaning out a scrape between the time I would leave my stand around 10:30 am and the time I would get back around 3:30 pm. So I went in at 10:00, and he died around 1:30 that afternoon. I try and let them tell me when to hunt.

Thats just it. I really believe once the rut starts, mid-morning to mid-day is the best hunting for mature bucks.As long as we are not getting unseasonably warm weather for that time of year either.

I have a little theory also that I will share. I believe that once the "search and seak" phase of the rut starts that the bucks are out all night searching for hot does in the food sources. But, the rut is not quite full blown yet so they are still in their pattern of getting back to their bedroom before first light. Then, around 9:00 a.m.where I live they get back up and start their searching again because they know the does are bedded and are going to be easy to find and scent check. I promise you that every breeding buck knows every doe bedding area in his territory. This is why I would rather hunt that first week in Nov. in my area than the full blown rut. They just seem to be more active while still being on a pattern. They are still going to be in their core area searching but when the rut goes into full swing they could be 3 miles away. This is something we all probably know but this is my main style of hunting. I take my vacation every year on Nov. 2 - 9 or as close to those dates as possible. I know as long as I hunt funnels with doe bedding areas I will get a crack or at least see 1 shooter buck every year. Since I've started hunting this method I've not had a year go by when I didn't at least see a nice one from my stand.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:17 AM
Spike

i sit all day, and i have shot deer from 7 20 am thru 5 45 pm. yuo just never know