Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day... >

Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day...

Old 06-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day...

ORIGINAL: backnaction34

I have seen alot of deer activity durring the mid day hours. Be it from other hunters pushing the deer or what. I "heard" a theory once that deer feed on 12 hour cycle. Maybe they dont come out in fields or food plots every 12 hours but they do have to eat. I havent seen anything to prove this theroy wrong. So if they are feeding at midnight .....then that would put them feeding again durring mid day.
The oldest buck I ve killed was @ 11:30 am. (6 1/2 year old 7 piont)
I heard something similar, except I read it's a 4 hour cycle. Which I think is accurate.I have watched deer that were bedded, get up at high noon and browseright in their immediate area for about 20 mins, then bed right back down in the same area. It was neat.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Canuck_2

Couldnt
help myself gri22ly

Couldn't help myself, Siman.
Well at least i wasn't the one claiming to use spell check
Old 06-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Dominant Buck

If you really do some investigating, you'll find that most people have harvested thier best bucks between 10am and 2pm.
Huh?

Sounds like a good magazine article theory.....but I doubt it's true in real-life.

I've hunted all day a few times, during the rut. I just dont see the activity I see in other times of the day. Call me lazy, uncommitted, etc........I just don't have the patience to sit through what "I" feel is an unproductive time of day "for my woods". I've seen good bucks (relative) here after 11:00.....but that's usually when I'm thinking of climbing down. You also have to remember that a buck don't have to travel far or look real hard to find a doe in my woods.

In reality.....I'm sure there are some great bucks killed during the middle of the day. I also think it's "a" way for some hunters to perch themselves on the "I am extremely dedicated and you just don't want it, enough" perch. I actually don't know anyone who's killed one in the middle of the day, here.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:36 AM

You also have to remember that a buck don't have to travel far or look real hard to find a doe in my woods.
That right there is a big factor, nationwide. IMO

From my experience, the 10-2 hrs. aren't very productive at all for seeing A LOT of deer. But it's the one time every other year or so that it pays off and makes it all worthwhile.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with you Jeff when it comes to not being able to sit through "un-productive" hours
Old 06-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

ORIGINAL: Canuck_2

Couldnt
help myself gri22ly

Couldn't help myself, Siman.
Well at least i wasn't the one claiming to use spell check
Thats why I said it's a little betterI checked it and spell check said it was right......oh well. You can spell Simam, good for you, I'm still teaching my self.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

2:15 pm... Caught this guy cruising in the heart of the rut here in Illinois.

I've had tremendous encounters over the past years while hunting in mid-afternoon. It is my favorite time to hunt in November.

And I don't believe its a crazy theory. It is purely dependant on several factors.. but it is a natural buck movement during the breeding season. But like anything else... it depends on the land you are hunting.

Incidently, the buck pictured is dominant.. dressed out at just over 230 pounds.. and was a 5 1/2 yr. old deer.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If you really do some investigating, you'll find that most people have harvested thier best bucks between 10am and 2pm.
Huh?

Sounds like a good magazine article theory.....but I doubt it's true in real-life.

I've hunted all day a few times, during the rut. I just dont see the activity I see in other times of the day. Call me lazy, uncommitted, etc........I just don't have the patience to sit through what "I" feel is an unproductive time of day "for my woods". I've seen good bucks (relative) here after 11:00.....but that's usually when I'm thinking of climbing down. You also have to remember that a buck don't have to travel far or look real hard to find a doe in my woods.

In reality.....I'm sure there are some great bucks killed during the middle of the day. I also think it's "a" way for some hunters to perch themselves on the "I am extremely dedicated and you just don't want it, enough" perch. I actually don't know anyone who's killed one in the middle of the day, here.
Thats pretty harsh GMMAT.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

HahaI actually just started using it myself gri22
Old 06-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Huh?

Thats pretty harsh GMMAT.
I'd say more typical than harsh.

Quick Reply: Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.