Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rattling and Grunting >

Rattling and Grunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rattling and Grunting

Old 12-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rattling and Grunting

What rattling and grunting sequence do you guys use. I have rattled deer in by rattling for a min and then waiting for a few then repeating and aggressively grunting.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rattling and Grunting

I have used all kinds of a variety. Depends on the period of the rut and time of year. Early pre rut I rattle light with non aggressive grunts. Peak of rut I pick of the pace and become aggressive but don't rattle that often. AFter all, the bucks are out cruising for does, so I concentrate on tending grunts, snort weezes, and doe bleats. Post rut I don't rattle that often unless I need to get a bucks attention from a distance, and then follow that up with doe bleats and grunting. There is such a variety that I find way that work one time and not the other. It varies from year to year it seems. I try to be creative and picture two bucks having an altercation or picture a buck tending a doe and try to imagine the sounds that would be made.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rattling and Grunting

On October 24th I rattled in a nice 8 point (136" net green scored) Here's how it worked out for me- I lightly hit the antlers together like it was a good sparing match and I slowly picked up the pace a bit and got more aggresive as I went. I did this for about 2 to 3 minutes and then stoped and waited for about 3 minutes. I did this same sequense 2 more times exactly like the first time. I never grunted the whole time. 20 minutes after I rattled the last time I heard some branches braking or something, i wasn't sure what it was. I then seen a small group of saplings that had 3 of them or so growing together side by side getting thrashed by this buck about 60 yards from me. After he quit beating on them he walked directly under my stand to see where these 2 bucks were that he thought were fighting, I fooled him! I passed him up the 1st time thinking he wouldn't make P@Y (Little did I know) but then later figured he was close enough to books and shot him, he went 50 yards and died!