Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
grunting/rattling how much, how often? >

grunting/rattling how much, how often?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

grunting/rattling how much, how often?

Old 11-02-2002, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default grunting/rattling how much, how often?

I am going out this afternoon at a spot with 3 big scrapes, i was just wondering how often you guys rattle and grunt. i have a primos adjustable grunt with like 5 different settings.

any comments are appreciated
Old 11-02-2002, 01:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: grunting/rattling how much, how often?

I will share one experience from last year in regards to calling, during bow I had a nice 8 point walk parrelel to me at
about 40 yards to far to shoot and then turn away from me, I hit the grunt once, he stopped and looked and
continued on, I hit the grunt louder he stopped and looked again, but continued on. Man I was flustered, so I gave
him a doe bleat!!! Man that got his attention, he turned right around and headed back to me, I kept him coming my
way for a bit, and bleated a few more times. If I had just used the bleat once he probably would have come all the
way back to me, but I called to often after he turned and once he knew he should be able to see a doe he decided
something was wrong so he took off.

I learned 2 things from this, number one was that given a choice between a possible fight with another buck grunting
at him and hooking up with a honey of a doe bleating that a buck is no different than a teenage boy, they would
rather be a lover than a fighter. The second thing I learned is once you have a deer coming your way, quit calling
unless he turns off in the wrong direction.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 11-02-2002, 01:42 PM
Typical Buck

Alright, thanks. If anybody else has input on rattling that would be great too.

I have heard before about not grunting when they are walking towards you. I was playin around with a doe that was quite a ways off the other day. I would grunt and she would look, it was pretty neat. I never did get her to walk towards me though.

Old 11-02-2002, 04:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have never tried rattling and to be honest probably never will, last year I was in a stand and for about 5 hours listened to this guy on the property next to the one I was hunting tickiling them bones about every half hour. I like my deer coming in at a casual pace, not in a POed mood. BTW another reason I like doe bleats so much is we can kill a ton of doe in Va. and that will at least calm a doe, and if you do a fawn call sometimes it will bring a doe in.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club