Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rattling and grunting

Old 12-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rattling and grunting

What rattling and grunting sequence do you guys use. I have rattled deer in by rattling for a min and then waiting for a few then repeating and aggressively grunting.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:47 PM

Default RE: Rattling and grunting

All natural rattling that I've heard has been in the pre-dawnmorning. So my best results have came when i rattled just at shooting light. I normally start of with a couple soft grunts, and wait. If no response I grunt louder. No response, tickle tips. No response, snort weeze followed by aggressive rattling. If this ellicits no action I wait 5-10 minutes and repeat. Once it gets 9am I completely stop calling, unless I see a deer that is obviouslygoing to pass out of range, then I call to try and draw him closer.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

i never rattle or grunt or use the can call at daylight,i've had better luck later in morning. i figure the deer are usually on the early anyway,so why not just let them do there thing. i tend to use calls more when i'm not seeing much movement,i've called in 8-10 bucks this year after slow mornings. i only rattle in early season. most times i use the can call and primos buck roar grunt tube together.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

So you like the buck roar?
Old 12-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

i have liked the buck roar this year,its worked great at times. i have about 6 different kinds .

the buckroar can be blown louder than most grunts,so if you see a buck at a distance ,he'll be able hear it easier.