Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Rattling and grunting >

Rattling and grunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rattling and grunting

Old 10-29-2002, 12:34 PM

Default Rattling and grunting

Just a quick question. Im new to bowhunting this year and was curious, when is the best time to rattle and do you do any grunts before or after you start rattling? Do you rattle in the morning or afternoon or does it matter? I will reply to this, Im here all the time. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:33 PM

Default RE: Rattling and grunting

I'm new too...been hunting deer but not with bow till this year. I started rattling this week in SW IA. I have brought in 4 bucks. One 5x5 I should have gotten to shoot but Murphy's law. I more or less tickle them first (where most of my reactions happen) and rattle harder if no response in 15 minutes. I rattle every half hour to hour in the morning, lay off about 10:00, start again less frequently from 11:00-3:00 and don't rattle in the evening unless I see a buck. I was grunting too but stopped as I used mature grunt and intimidated a nice deer that was coming in. Because I don't know what size deer is coming I don't grunt unless I can see him and then just enough to get his attention. Hope that helps.

THWACK!
Old 10-29-2002, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rattling and grunting

pre, rut and first part of post rut, I rattle. I tend not to rattle until around 10. I really have had limited success before that and I hunt transition areas so I rely on good spot placement to catch deer moving naturally. For the same reason I tend to lay off evening rattling. (10-4) I always grunt when rattling, but not aggressive style, just grunt, grunt, grunt soft even tone. While it will tend to make some of the immature bucks hold up and rethink what they are doing, it often is the edge the brings out the mature buck, which is what I am after. (at least in my woods) I as well prefer tinkling and grind vs. all out smashing of the horns. I start off soft and only for 20-30 sec, then wait 30 min., then bring up the intensity and duration to 30-60 wait 30 min. I repeat what I think is my max intensity every 30 min. for 30-60secs with grunts following each sequence. I also rake trees and saplings to simulate rubbing. If you ground hunt, like I do when rattling, a couple of things I find that really works is thumping on the ground when ending the sequence(simulate fleeing deer), followed up by scraping and pawing the ground with the short even soft grunts to end your sequences (simulate a winner and ready for all challengers). I will also move my legs back and forth on the ground while rattling to cause rustling and bring more life to the sequence. Why do I do all this? B/C I have been fortunate to see and hear bucks battling in the wild, this has taught me to try and elements that are often forgot about. Is it neccessary, no but my success and size of bucks has really increased with my additiona and practice. I also suggest if you don't get anything out of the woods in 2-3 hours moving, in some instance not that far. I have moved 200-300 yards and sat down first sequence boom he appears. I really think they get onto you, you must sometimes think like a deer. Another point if you do have a buck working to the horns and he isn't what you want...stop and let him get bored and go away quietly. Also try not to rattle in the same spot on back to back days, especially if you called something in...simalr to above just throw them a change up.

Lastly keep you eyes and ears peeled. Always pay particular attention to your backdoor (downwind side) mature bucks will try and circle and come in wind to the nose with horns. In many cases I think this is why guys say it doesn't work, b/c they forget to watch backdoor. I have had bucks sneak in and others race in crashing hair standing up, you just never know. Be ready to shoot at all times and know your lanes and distance before you rattle.

Keep on it, practice and don't get discouraged.