Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 T.V. Hunting Gone Bad! >

T.V. Hunting Gone Bad!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

T.V. Hunting Gone Bad!

Old 12-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: T.V. Hunting Gone Bad!

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

Let me preface this by saying this is totally my personal opinion, BUT...

I believe that most of the beef with hunting shows comes from some folks that are green with envy knowing that someone is out there hunting dream locations with free equipment, filming their hunts, and getting paid for it. I would be willing to bet that these people that are being complained about would still be out there hunting just like the rest of us if they didn't have the opportunities that have. They have been given the golden ticket and are living the dream and some of us average Joes can't handle that it's not us. I'm cool with it (although I can't say I'm not envious) and wish them the best.

Again, JMHO.
H.B. I haveto reply to your post this way ...I do not resent anyone who hunts legally which I would think most of the TV hunters do (exception Noel Feather ..Roland Martin)...what I take issue with is them trying to pass it off as real "do it yourself" kind of hunt .... I have no problems with hunting a ranch (low fence) or using an outfiitter ...BUT these guys are suppose to be Pro's ...they should not need to hunt a ranch OR need an Outiffter (here in the US) to be successful ..once in awhile no problem but SOME of these guy's seem to hunt ranch's most all the time which tells me their just in it to make a show or sell their product ...some of these ranch's have so many bucks that you could use a rubber chicken as a call and a buck would show up... JMO

dd
Old 12-06-2007, 05:12 PM

I think Tred Barta has a great hunting show. As well as jim shockey those are the two i watch the most.

My hunting partners and i are putting out a DVD next year about our hunting trips this year. We showed everything from scouting to sitting in blinds and on stand right through to the gutting and processing of the deer. We are trying to do something different and show how much work it actually takes to kill a deer.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think one thing you guys are missing are the hundreds of hours some of these guys put in a stand or blind to shoot these animals. You act like these guys go out and the first hour in the stand they shoot a 160".
True for some shows not true for others.
I believe that most of the beef with hunting shows comes from some folks that are green with envy knowing that someone is out there hunting dream locations with free equipment, filming their hunts, and getting paid for it
I talked quite alot with Dave Watson when his show started figured out pretty quick I wouldn't want to hunt for a living. I just call it like I see it.

Lee and Tiffany are a comedy act.
A very bad comedy act.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Host of Hosts

[blockquote]quote:

Lee and Tiffany are a comedy act.
[/blockquote]
A very bad comedy act
Very bad acting as well.

Tiffany is definately a looker, but that is the point. How many of you would tune into that show if she wasn't good looking?
Old 12-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Spike

Wow what a thread.
I guess I'll preface my statement by saying that I AM jealous. There I said it.

That being said, my problem with all of these shows is that just because these people are on TV they are suddenly hunting "experts". I will concede that some of them probably are experts (eg Jim Shockey) but many simply have the luxury of money and time. I would bet that there is a great number of people on this site that would kill just as many big bucks as the so-called "experts" if they had the same luxuries. Ask yourself: How good of a hunter could I be if it was my full time job and money and land were no object? I would bet we could all be pretty good but even then the "experts" seem to still need help.

For example, I never really had a problem with Stan Potts, but I saw him kill a huge buck at an outfitter in Illinois a couple weeks ago and it occurred to me "If Stan Potts is such a great hunter why does he need to pay outfitters in his own state?" You're telling me that NAW can't provide their "star" with land to hunt on? Maybe he's not so great. Maybe he's a TV personality that is under intense pressure to kill big bucks on film and he has no choice but go through outfitters in his home state because he doesnt have the time to put into managing property let alone doing all the other work.

Let me also say that the pressure to produce is probably what drives many of them to do the questionable things we all complain about. Like the Drurys getting Illinois archery permitsjust by calling the DNR director and not going through the lottery with everyone else who wants to hunt here (there is proof of that). It wasn't illegal but it certainly made me lose respect for the Drurys for all time. They play themselves off as though they're just like everyone else, but they obviously are not.

I also like how every showfilmed in TX never admits they are baiting.I would bet they do it because many people wouldnt understand (not to mention the age-old arguments about it). It doesnt bother me. I lived in northern michigan and baited too. Its just what a lot of people did there but I still think the tv showsshould man up and at least acknowledge it.

OK I've rambled on enough.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I hope like hell this isn't you

Old 12-06-2007, 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: c_str

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I hope like hell this isn't you

Pretty sure it is. This was a bit before my time on this site I think, but still pretty sure it's him.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:18 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

Let me preface this by saying this is totally my personal opinion, BUT...

I believe that most of the beef with hunting shows comes from some folks that are green with envy knowing that someone is out there hunting dream locations with free equipment, filming their hunts, and getting paid for it. I would be willing to bet that these people that are being complained about would still be out there hunting just like the rest of us if they didn't have the opportunities that have. They have been given the golden ticket and are living the dream and some of us average Joes can't handle that it's not us. I'm cool with it (although I can't say I'm not envious) and wish them the best.

Again, JMHO.
I completely agree! I will admit that I am a bit envious ofpeople who can regularly hunt places like they do on Tecomate, however, I'm not going to hate on them, because if I had the means to so, I wouldown a place just like it!

Old 12-07-2007, 02:40 AM

another thing that you nay sayers need to realize is that the hunters on these programs are out there for a week or two..we only see the 23 min or so (give or take a few 30sec commercials) that makes for good tv. Like a previous poster noted...who wants to sit and watch someone else sitting and watching ??????? that just dosent make any sense!!! these programs are there to get our attention...and what gets it is...BIG DEER !!! So that is what they go out and film. Personally I enjoy most of these shows espically GC....cause Tiffany really is fun to look at !! AC cause Ralph and Vicky are fun and entertaining !! Realtree shows with Waddel cause hes wild and crazy and I can relate to him !! Primos shows cause i look up to Will and what hes done with his company!! Jim Shockey.....the encounters that guy gets on film are incredible!! and ofcoarse Ted Nugent .... that man gets just as excited "layin the smack down" on "some slickheads" as he does when he arrows a "big mature buck" and being able to say"BBD". ( had to use some of the overly used verbage to make a point). Anyway..I think ive said my piece..take care and good luck to all the remaining weeks of the season .....oh yeah and Im with the fellow Michiganders.....Fred Troust..Ruled !!.....RIP !!!!
Old 12-07-2007, 05:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ya know I was actually giving "this" discussion some thought last night. When I say "this discussion" I am not necessarily referring to this thread but the entire issue of our TV hunting shows and their representation of hunting.

I so often see how folks are complaining that the shows are unrealistic (and, in comparison to my experiences with hunting, they are). However, would folks really watch them if they actually depicted what hunting was like for the rest of us? Seriously? I mean, would you watch a bare stand of hardwoods for 3-4 hours not seeing anything other than a squirrel or two and some woodpeckers flying from tree to tree? You might as well call it the Nature Channel if you are going to do that. I do not think many folks would watch it, I really don't.

What these shows do is focus on the adrenaline rush that goes with watching deer activity leading up to harvesting an animal. I think if you ask alot of folks whether or not they had a good day out in the field then their response will be based on whether or not they saw deer and/or if a shot opportunity presented itself. "Real hunting" in my experience means days afield when you do not see animals and/or you are seeing animals that are not even remotely close enough for a shot. Would you guys really watch that?

I mean it is one thing when we are actually in that situation, ourselves, but would you want to spend your free time at home actually watching someone else not seeing something? These shows have a half hour to summarize several days worth of hunting. What would you rather watch the 90% of the time that some of these guys are not seeing anything or the 10% of the time that animals are actually around them? (I do think they could do a better job of relating the fact that they did spend several days out there of not seeing anything)

Let me be sure to clarify something, I am not trying to defend the practices of some of the hunting shows on network televisionbut rather trying to explain, from point of view, why we see some of things we do on these hunting programs. I watch some of them but usually only the ones that I find I can relate to. In my case that typically means whitetail deer hunting and usually with a bow. I have no interest in African game animals nor do I have interest in some of the other hunting scenarios that these guys put themselves into. I will never have a day where I see 130-150 class bucks "milling around in front me" while I sit in a treestand waiting for something bigger to show up. It just isn't realistic for where I hunt but, it is entertaining to watch someone else in that same situation.

Quick Reply: T.V. Hunting Gone Bad!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.