Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 T.V. Hunting Gone Bad! >

T.V. Hunting Gone Bad!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

T.V. Hunting Gone Bad!

Old 12-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: T.V. Hunting Gone Bad!

Keep in mind that at the end of the day it's a business, and it's all about making money. The only way to do that is to get sponsors, and the only way to do that is to kill big bucks. You guys do the math.
You are correct and IMO, that is exactly the reason so many hunters have a problem with the enire thing. I don't care who you are, but when you take a passion and away of life and something you were raised doing and turn in into "a business" and "all about the Money" it can leave a bad taste insome people'smouth...........[:'(].

My only question is how did it get to this point..........a business.....and all about the money?

Old 12-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stan Potts' crazy eye scares me.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:14 PM

Fred Troust died? I had no idea...I live in Canada, western Canada and used to watch his show on the satellite and loved it...what a shame!
Old 12-07-2007, 11:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would be willing to bet that these people that are being complained about would still be out there hunting just like the rest of us if they didn't have the opportunities that have.
Good point.

Hunting is by its nature somewhat controversial. There are many regional differences and those differences get underscored by these TV shows. Texans hunting near feeders is a foreign concept to many hunters, just as hunting bears over bait can seem outlandish even to a non-hunter, but not all hunting is the same.

I've been watching the Drury videos for years. My hunting partner has all of them and he loves watching them over and over so I've been pretty familiar with them.

In their early days, they were excited to kill a buck in th 130's. Now they pass on bucks much bigger. Did they suddenly become "better" hunters? Of course not. They're doing a number of things differently...

They're managing their land differently and they're also hunting on the land of people who charge big dollars to put people in front of big deer. (I know, I know, they probably don't pay, but that's not the point.)

Bottom line is that things have changed and money has changed it. Money has a way of doing that in all things and hunting is no different.

The good thing about all this is that these shows promote hunting and they keep it in front of millions of Americans. It is naturally going to be more accepted by the general public if it portrays people enjoying themselves and taking animals for food and tradition.

If the hunting shows were to stop today, we'd all lose. The screwball anti's like PETA would have the chance to make it look like something that few people do, something unnecessary. As it stands now, PETA and their cronies can't say it isn't popular, because its there almost every day on TV.

We all have our opinions on how it should be portrayed and we will never reach a meaningful consensus.

Watch what you like. Ignore the rest and enjoy what we're all blessed to have in America...a chance to enjoy the outdoors.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:04 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Of all the big name hunters, Stan Potts would be about the only one I would go out of my way to meet. He knows how to hunt and is very good at it. He also seemsdown to earth. I bet most of us could learn a few things from him. Would be fun talking to him.

Tim
Old 12-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will agree on one thing---Its all about money.
As for Stan Potts --He has killed some big deer, lots of big deer-far more than any of us will ever have chance to and he deserves credit for it. But still he is in it for the money.
As far as the Drury's ---remember the the "Illinoiscourtisy deer tag " deal??? People getting tags without going thru the application prcocess and getting tags after the lottery and drawing deadlines snd getting tags for counties that were "sold out"???????????????????

Old 12-26-2007, 12:20 PM

Has anyone heard about the new show Bass Pro is supposed to be coming out with. I hear it's supposed to be quite a bit different than most of what we've been seeing.