Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 T.V. Hunting Gone Bad! >

T.V. Hunting Gone Bad!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

T.V. Hunting Gone Bad!

Old 12-07-2007, 06:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: T.V. Hunting Gone Bad!

another thing that you nay sayers need to realize is that the hunters on these programs are out there for a week or two..
Your kidding right? More like 3-5 day hunts.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: c_str

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I hope like hell this isn't you

It is. Stick around and you'll see it many more times along with a few other select pics.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I only read through a few pages of this thread, but the one thing that really caught my attention was all of the assumptions and accusations made by people who have no idea how the TV show industry really works. The whole "I have no idea what I'm really talking about, but I'm going to talk about it anyways!" syndrome.

The only thing I read that I really believe in, and that irritates me as well, are people who I know are not experts or even close to it, getting on TV and pretending tobe something they're not. That pisses me off. Asdoes people taking or making bad shots and then fist-pumping and acting like they just made agreat shot even though they "hit him a little further back than I wanted, but I think the arrow was angling up in him pretty good". The only thing I ask from a TV show is not to blow smoke up my butt. We all know the differencebetweenright and wrong, so taking bad shots is completely unacceptible to me. Making a bad shot when presented with a good opportunity happens to all of us, so when it happens show the TRUE emotions, not some made-up BS.

With that said, there was a comment about Stan Potts that kinda threw me for a loop. Something about how he may not be a great hunter b/c he hunts with outfitters and NAW should find a spot for him to hunt, yadda yadda.First of all, the guykilled more big bucks than most of us will ever see WAY before TV shows and Outfitters were what they are today. Secondly, he spends a LOT of time managing and consulting for outfitters here in IL during the off-season, helping to make sure they've got the best deer andstand setups possible. So when he's hunting with an outfitter you can rest assured thathe did all of his own scouting and hung his own stands. The guy isn't an average client who they put in a stand and tell them to sit here until a buck walks by, which isagain the popular assumption of a lot of people who may never have been on aguided hunt in their lives.In the real world, which is not where a lot of you guys live, a GOOD outfitter's success ratio on harvesting mature bucks with a bow is right around 25%. So basically you've got a 1 in 4 shot of killing a buck during a guided hunt with a respected outfitter, hunting on the best trophy-managed ground in the country. It's not quite as easy as shooting fish in a barrel like many people believe. But hey, feel free to keep living your lives based on assumptions and wild accusations. It seems to have worked so far.

So nowwhy would NAW want to fork out possibly hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy a piece of land for this guy to hunt on, when they can leverage their name and the fact that they do have aTV show to get Stan Potts some free hunts with outfitters that have leased up all the best ground? Keep in mind that at the end of the day it's a business, and it's all about making money. The only way to do that is to get sponsors, and the only way to do that is to kill big bucks. You guys do the math.

I'll leave it at this - take everything on TV for what it is - entertainment.It'scalled the Boob Tube for a reason.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Amen, Brother, Amen.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

So nowwhy would NAW want to fork out possibly hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy a piece of land for this guy to hunt on, when they can leverage their name and the fact that they do have aTV show to get Stan Potts some free hunts with outfitters that have leased up all the best ground? Keep in mind that at the end of the day it's a business, and it's all about making money. The only way to do that is to get sponsors, and the only way to do that is to kill big bucks. You guys do the math.
NO truer words spoken then THIS about THIS subject ....its NO longer a "sport" to these guy's BUT a business ...BIG $$$ and a since of "what ever it takes to get'er done" ......Justin you just hit the nail on the head!

dd

Old 12-07-2007, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin
The only thing I read that I really believe in, and that irritates me as well, are people who I know are not experts or even close to it, getting on TV and pretending tobe something they're not. That pisses me off. Asdoes people taking or making bad shots and then fist-pumping and acting like they just made agreat shot even though they "hit him a little further back than I wanted, but I think the arrow was angling up in him pretty good". The only thing I ask from a TV show is not to blow smoke up my butt. We all know the differencebetweenright and wrong, so taking bad shots is completely unacceptible to me. Making a bad shot when presented with a good opportunity happens to all of us, so when it happens show the TRUE emotions, not some made-up BS.
Very good summation ofa lotof the wrongs of TV hunting shows.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

How about a show that has nothing but deer footage. Just filming big deer and watching their behavoir. That's all I watch these shows for anyway. Just to see the big deer. Maybe have a segment about some tips on setting up stands or where to put a stand or tips on calling, etc. From what I am reading into this, the problem everyone has with these shows is the people, not the deer.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Spike

Guys,I couldn't help but to comment after seeing an episode( I honestly don't know the name of or the hunter) He was trying to bowhunt from the ground,(deer stands are unethical to some) He busts into a small piece of timber, deer running everywhere, he's running everywhere, sounds like a herd of cattle. The hunter and camera man are talking loudly to each other. They continue to walk and stalk andthe deer just keep coming. He gets a shot at about 25 yards, misses.Gets another and hits the deer way back and we get thebigcheesy smile, a high five ,and whatseemed as an obvious next day recovery without any mention of it. My non huntingwifejokingly said"maybe thats the way you should do it, just walk in there and chase them around a little". I Guess I really stirred it up huh? Had no idea of the response this would get, but now I'm even getting tired of keeping up with the posts. So lets move on.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:37 AM

OK here is the deal, a lot of people are saying I am sick of how it is getting too commercialized. Well do you have any idea how much it cost to be on a network the is broadcasted in over 40+ million homes??? Do you have any idea how much an HD camera cost??? It cost an ungodly amount. If those commercials where not there you would have nothing to bit ch about because there would be no show. As for the people on tv, most are truly great hunters, they have made a name for themselves in some aspect of the hunting field. Bad shots happen, I have made mistakes, and so have you. As for the fist pump, have you ever made a shot that you thought was right on but infact it was a little farther back??? It happens. You dont like watching the commercials than fine we will take them off and you have nothing but the Laguna Beach and Home Shopping Network to watch.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

How about a show that has nothing but deer footage. Just filming big deer and watching their behavoir. That's all I watch these shows for anyway. Just to see the big deer.
You mean you don't want to watch a guy eating pop tarts or brushing his teeth ?

I honestly think Stan Potts lives and breathes hunting unlike people like Jimmy Houston, Babe Winkleman and so many others that had some name recognition and suddenly are white tail experts.

Quick Reply: T.V. Hunting Gone Bad!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.