Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Morning Hunts

Old 08-24-2007, 06:50 PM

Default RE: Morning Hunts

Usually an hour before the season starts for me. Last season I wanted to get to a stand before the first wave of deer came through so I was in at 3 a.m. buckled to the tree and ready to nap. Before I could drift off 2 bucks came through and hit my scent from where I walked in. There was a lot of moonlight so I could kinda make out the deer. I figured they would bolt but they followedmy scentall the way to my ladder stand and then started sniffing where I had touched the ladder. I thought for a second the deer was going to start climbing up! I'm pretty sure the deer learned all they needed to know about me and that stand that morning.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:01 PM

This may sound strange , but I've had better luck getting to my stand right at the time it starts to get light. There seems to be a window of non-activity between the dark and say 1/2 hour after you can see pretty well.
I always spook deer if I walk in around 1 hour to 30 min. before it starts to get light. I'm only guessing but I think the deer try to move in the dark to bedding if they can. These are the ones I bump/spook.
The next wave of activity is around 1/2 hour after sunrise. I'll be settled by then and waiting.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

i try and get in an hour before it is legal to shoot so about an hour and a half before sunrise

[/align]
Old 08-24-2007, 07:10 PM

In the warmer months I try to be out to the stand early enough to beat the other hunters to my spot to keep them away from it. In the colder months I try to be out in the car, near the stand sitting so that hunters know I'm hunting somewhere in that area, but staying in the car until just before visibility to shoot sets in and then walk in to my spot. That way I can stay out longer before I become a popsicle and have to come back in to warm up again.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try to get to the stand 30 min before legal shooting time.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

I like to be up in my stand, ready, a half hour prior to sunrise.