Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Same stand for morning and evening hunts >

Same stand for morning and evening hunts

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Same stand for morning and evening hunts

Old 09-18-2003, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Same stand for morning and evening hunts

I know typically there are morning stand locations and evening stand locations, but I wanted to know how many people have a stand that is equally good for both. I have a tree I hunt out of, doesn' t matter if its morning or evening you can see deer just as often either time. Its good in the early season as well as the rut. Any of you guys have a non-baited stand location like this?
Old 09-18-2003, 06:18 AM

Default RE: Same stand for morning and evening hunts

I have 2 or 3 places like that. I try not to overhunt them but it' s hard because you know they produce all the time.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a few stands like that also.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:38 AM

All my stands are good for morning and afternoon hunts.

The only thing that would stop me from hunting them is during a particular time is how my entry/exit routes set up. Some stands are just tough to get to during certain times.

But I hunt almost all my stands morning and afternoon
Old 09-18-2003, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

I have a just few stands like that, out of over 30. True morning stands are hard to come by due to several determining factors, including: Quiet access, possible deer contact on entrance, and easy exit. Often, the reason a stand is good for the morning, is exactly the reason why it is bad for evening. For example, it is a lot easier to exit a morning stand, near a bedding area, when you have been sitting in it since an hour before light and you know there are no deer you will bust on the way out because you have been watching the area since day break. On the other hand, you try and enter that stand in the evening, and because it is close to a bedding area, you have a decent chance of busting deer that have been either bedded nearby all day, or moved into the area during daylight hours due to it' s proximity to a bedding area. Other morning stands maybe close to feeding areas, and could possibly produce a shot in the first 1/2 hour of light, but are too far away from bedding areas to produce consistant activity in the evening hours. Also, most stands are good for just a few winds...say SW to West in the morning, but NW to N in the evening.

I personally love a good morning stand. Any good stand though that can be used multiple times has to be able to avoid deer contact and has the ability to allow for undetectible entrance and exit. Of all my 2.5 year old bucks or older I' ve harvested, 8 out of 10 have come from morning stands, with 8 out 8 morning kills being the first time I used the stand, with one of the evening stands producing a nice 3.5 year old in just the 2nd time using the stand. Got to love those mornings!

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan
Old 09-18-2003, 06:58 AM

I have 2 stands that I really like hunting in the morning and afternoon. I try not to hunt them in the morning and afternoon on the same day though. If I hunt one in the morning I will hunt the other stand in the afternoon.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:03 AM

I hunt several trasistion areas like this between feeding and bedding areas. I try not to overhunt them though.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wish I did as that would solve the problem that I am having now of finding a good evening stand. The problem with my morning stands ( in terms of using them as evening stands) is that they are probably too close to the food source and the deer do not approach it until after dark...

...though some recent game cam pics also show that they use the area in late morning and midday.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:08 AM

I am fortunate enough to have 2-3 stands like that. I try not to hunt on too long. I will hunt one morning/night, and not go back for at least 1 week. I will do this for all my stands
Old 09-18-2003, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve got a stand that comes to mind like that. I play it all on wind direction. Other than that, it produces equally well morning or evening just like you said.