Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 land permission question >

land permission question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

land permission question

Old 05-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default land permission question

I am heading out to ask a few different land owners if I can hunt on their land. Two of these places have a big gate at the beginning of their driveway, and I was curious how I should go about getting in contact with them. Either leave them a note asking them to call me, wait at the gate till someone comes home, hop the gate, run up to the door and just knock?

Also, one of these families has small children, but their land is incredible, its on top of a mountain. Do you think they will be less likely to let me hunt simply becuase of the small kids? I am going to tell them I will only bowhunt their property, and make sure im however far away from their house as the want.

Any other suggestions on getting permission to these peices of property would be great....if I am lucky, next I will be posting so aerial photos of thel and for yall to help me pick out where to hunt!
Old 05-04-2007, 11:01 AM

Default RE: land permission question

In my opinion I would write he laand owners a letter and ask them to give you a call to set up a time for you to meet them and ask for permission. I don't think that you are less likley to obtain permission based on the fact that they have small children, just present yourself in a very responsible manner.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think that asking for permission is a HUGE help. Sit down withe them and give them some time to get to know a little about you. Then, assuming your a good guy , they might hook you up with some swee property to hunt!
Old 05-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

For the love of god DO NOT just jump the gate and go knock on the door. That would not send a message that you are respectful of their property. Just slip a note in the mailbox or try to catch them out sometime. Then just be nice, ask politely, and offer something in return for the use of their land.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:30 AM

I agree, write the peoplea letter telling them some background about yourself and why you would like to use their land. Maybe throw in some info about herd control and how it helps the health of the herd asa whole, I dunno. May help, may not i guess. Just be upfront with them and if/when you get a chance to meet themface to face, dress respectable and act like its ajob interview. That was some of the best advice I got for getting permission to hunt someone else's property. You gotta sell yourself!
Old 05-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

Currently I have permission to hunt more than 600 acres of posted property on 4 different farms. I've come up with my own contract between me and the land owner and go over it with them in person. I pledge to "never" be on their property with anything other than my feet. No ATV's, cycles, trucks etc... One of them ask me to call and leave a message telling him when I'll be on the property so he knows I'm there and all of them have a particular area they have me park so when they see my car there they know it's me. Right now I'm the "only" person that has gotten permission to hunt two of the farms and the landowners wife is dead against hunting but says it's OK if it's me and my son. If you do it right you can hunt more property than one might think.