Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Permission for private land??? >

Permission for private land???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Permission for private land???

Old 07-18-2004, 12:39 PM

Default Permission for private land???

I was wandering what has worked the best for you in the past at finding private land. I will be trying to find some private land for my wife and I to bowhunt here in Mo. I was wondering besided the local papers, what is the best route you fellow hunters have had success at for getting private land. Thanks for any advice. Bill
Old 07-18-2004, 01:22 PM
BT
Typical Buck

Default RE: Permission for private land???

I have all ways just talked to people.
i have went through frinds.

And i look for people that are having deer problems. ie deer are eating up plants in yards,gardens,and farmers with deer problems.

The pratice of leasing has cut down on the avibilty of free privet land to hunt.

If you do find some the #1 thing that will help you keep you welcom on it is treat the land and the owner with respect.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:23 PM

word of mouth has been the best for me.
just ask around,friends, the postal dilevery man or woman usually know all the land and the people that own it.get friendly with that person. they usually have saw a lot of deer crossing and the land they go to.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

i dont know how they are in mo but up in iowa i just drive around find the game that i am after whether it be deer, ducks, or phesant and then find the land owner knock on the door and ask. Even if there is a no hunting sign ask, alot of times that dosnt mean you cant hunt, you just need permission to hunt it. i have had great luck just asking and if the ground is worth it after a couple of good hunts i will talk to them and offer them a gift certificat to a nice restraunt or some alcohol. good luck hope you get some good ground.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:45 PM

I am from SW MO and I have found that going to either the county courthouse and buying a plat book or going to our local library and paying for copies of each page of the plat book is a great way to find out how each piece of land lays out and who the owner is. Then you can drive the country roads and see what the land looks like and know if their is enough there to hunt and who owns it. Then you go knock on doors if the owner lives close by. Sometimes the owner doesn't and I have called them and I have gotten permission that way also. Face to face works the best though. And as said earlier just because the land is posted doesn't always mean they don't allow hunting they just want to be asked so they know who will be on their land.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

Make up some cards with you name, address, phone, vehicle description, and license plate number on them to give to land owners. If you ask enough people, you'll find some land. It's not easy anymore, but not impossible either. Once you obtain permission, follow his wishes to the "T" and you'll have a place for a long time.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in ohio ,I drive around and talk to people that I see in the areas that I want to hunt. I look at the land ownership maps at the court house and nock on door of owners that live away from the land , I have even called to other states to ask for permission. I hang out at farmers watering holes and buy a few drinks. If where you want to hunt has a deer problem talk to the gamewarden ,place a ad in the local paper "I help with problem deer" and give a local number ,I got lots of good and bad calls. Just do it early , nothing will piss the land owners off more than a hunter asking the week before season , during supper time or when they are trying to get crops in before rain. Remember all they can say is no and if they say no ,it is no.Walk away and say sorry to bother you . I have almost left and they said ok.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:21 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

All good suggestions and I second what mac87 said about the gift certificate. I order a gift pack from Omaha Steaks and have it sent to the land owners around Christmas time. That goes a long way in landowner relations. The $50 or $60 that it cost is minimal compared to a lease and is always appreciated. I also send a thank you card at the end of every hunting season.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:24 PM

I offer to do a little work for the land owner in exchange for the right to hunt their property. I'll fix fences, drive posts, buck hay, you name it. Odd jobs that they would normally have to waste time doing themselves.