Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Questions from a Newbie >

Questions from a Newbie

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Questions from a Newbie

Old 04-10-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Questions from a Newbie

Hi everyone,

I've been around the forum for quite awhile, focusing mainly on the rifle side of things. However, the more I read this site the more I became interested in Bow hunting. To make a long story short, I just recently purchased my first bow, a Fred Bear instinct. Basically, I'm really new to bow hunting and have been trying to gather as much information as I possibly can. This is where you guys come into play. I've just had some random questions pop into my head, and I can't think of a better place to get answers than this forum. Here's a couple I've come up with so far, I apologize if they are stupid questions in advance.

1. What do you do if you've wounded a deer with an arrow but it hasn't died when you find it? Is it legal to then shoot the deer with a gun to (I'm not sure the PC way to say it) finish off the deer?

2. What do people use when they are practicing as a target? I recently purchased a "Broadhead Buck" (one of the full-size deer to shoot at) and it works really nice. It gives you a good idea of where your shot would actually be.

3. What would be my best option in regards to a range finder? I'm looking for something that is decent and does a good job, but I also don't want to break the bank for it. I know everyone says you get what you pay for, but what specific brands/models would you recommend?

4. I'm looking into getting a 2-person stand since my wife wants to tag along with me. She doesn't have any desire (yet) to shoot the deer, but she wants to tag along because she likes seeing everything in its own habitat? What 2-person treestand would you recommend?

I really appreciate all your help, and for you veterans out there, I apologize for any stupid questions. All the knowledge you guys provide on here helps out a ton. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Questions from a Newbie

1. I dont think that it is legal to "finish off" wounded game that was shot during bow season.

2. I use a block target or a Yellow Jacket bag target for practicing with field points

3. Range finders, you get what you pay for, but i know you can get a quality pair at Walmart for just under 200

4. I think Ameristep makes a pretty inexpensive two-person stand

Old 04-10-2007, 10:37 AM

1. Wait it out and I also do not think it is leagl to "finsh off" game with a gun.
2 A bag target works great for field points.
3 The Nikon 440 it is $200
Old 04-10-2007, 10:50 AM

First off, quit apologizing. Everyone starts somewhere so fire away with all your questions. Welcome to the sport![8D]

1.) If it's a good shot you won't have to wait long if at all. If not, it's time to put a good shot on him but you can't use a firearm for it in a bow only season. Concentrate on making the first shot count.
2.) There's a lot of great targets out there just be sure you don't try to fire broadheads into one designed for field points, it's okay to do the inverse though and fire field points at a broadhead target.
3.) There's always someone looking for the latest and greatest rangefinder which means they've got the old one to get rid of. Check E-Bay. I'd stay away from the cheaper dual image/focusing style and stick to lasers.
4.) Can't help you with the stand but a good sized blind may be ideal since it will conceal you both better and protect her from the elements a bit more than freezing your buns up in a tree. If she enjoys the experience she's more likely to want to do it again.