Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 newbie reloder w/newbie questions >

newbie reloder w/newbie questions

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

newbie reloder w/newbie questions

Old 01-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default newbie reloder w/newbie questions

sorry guys,
I am totally new to reloading--never even seen it done before--been shootin' and huntin' all my life. I'm primarily interested in reloading (to enhance performance) for my 7mm wsm (ruger-m77--bought it in Oct) It grouped ok, but not what I would consider exceptional (avg probably 2.5''-3'' @200yds) it's a stainless/synthetic. I shot 160 gr nosler accubonds in it by both federal and winchester (it seemed to like the winchester a little better). I probably shot 200 rds in it before hunting season. The accubonds themselves performed great--4 animals dropped in their tracks. I also have a 6mm and .308 which i'd be interested in reloading for if all works out. I just need to know what you guys consider the best way for a beginner to start. what manuals to buy or websites to visit? are there starting kits? basically--HELP

ps Is it reasonable to expect performance enhancement from reloading? or is mostly done for economic reasons

hb
Old 01-24-2005, 06:12 PM

Default RE: newbie reloder w/newbie questions

RCBS has a good starter kit it comes with a manual also, I like to use manuals form powder manufactures, and bullet munufactures also. I get a lot of my supplies from Midway USA they have fair prices. Yes you can enhanee performance, and save a lot of money in the process.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Brush hunter---what powder recomendation might you make?
thanks again
hb
Old 01-24-2005, 10:16 PM

You should buy a reloading manual and read up on reloading. The powder to use differs with the caliber and bullet weight you are going to reload. Buy a Nosler reloading manual. The Nosler manual calls out the most accurate powder tested for the various calibers and bullet weights. I've come up with some good loads using the Nosler most accurate powder tested. It isn't allways the best in my guns because different guns like different powders and bullet weights but it's a good starting point.

Decide on the kind of press you want and buy that press with the reloading kit, this will get you most of the equipment you will need. You will need to buy a set of Calipers, a powder trickler and a brass trimmer.Any of the major manufactureres make good stuff. I bought RCBS and I'm very happy with the equipment.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:43 AM

hillbillyhunter1, I mostly hunt with handguns, but when I take the long guns out these are a couple of my hunting loads. For 308 I use IMR4350 44.5 gr. and a 180 gr. Barnes-x bullet. For my 300 mag. I use IMR 4350 68 gr. and a Barnes 180gr x-bullet. Get a reloading manual read it than start your loads off LITE AND WORK YOUR WAY UP. Try different powers and bullets.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Lots of good advice given on this board.

Here is a kit you should consider>>>> http://natchezss.com/category.cfm?co...TOKEN=97604962 I bet Midway has a similar deal.

You also might want to get chronograph to determine which loads are most consistent. I have found that the tendency is to be a bit more accurate with more consistent (velocity wise) loads. Maybe a case trimmer to trim those puppies back a bit.

Then you might want to get a neck sizer die, just to ease the stress on your brass. Then you might want to get a Dillon 550 or 650, just to speed things up a bit. It is and addictive hobby but lots of fun.

Make sure you follow directions given in the book and you will be ok.

As far as the cost savings...I dunno about that. In terms of accuracy improvement that is a definite yup, although those differences may not be significant, but, they will be there. A few years ago my wife asked me why I reloaded.....she noticed that it would take a lot of my time just to get a couple hundred rounds put out. We went to the range. At 100 yards (using her rifle and the same weight Nosler in both factory and handloads) the group size was noticeable, but barely. Then we moved back to the fartherst bench at the range. At 450 yards the difference was very noticeable.

Good luck to you in your new hobby.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I got the RCBS Rock Chucker kit a couple months ago. It has nearly everything you need, except dies and a trimmer. It has a good how-to section on how to reload. I hadn't ever reloaded or seen it done, but I had no problems following the instructios. Now I've put several hundred rounds of ammo through it.

As far as saving money, yes and no. It costs less money per cartridge, but I make up the difference by shooting a lot more. Accuracy wasn't that bad to begin with, so there's not a huge difference. Bullet selection is probably my biggest reason for reloading.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sighting In had a good show this week on reloading. Here is the link:

Sighting In
Old 01-25-2005, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks guys---It'll probably be a week or two before I get enough time to become set up. I'll let you guys know how I am progressing. I'm sure I'll have more questions
Thanks again
hb